Firth of Forth

maxi77

Visit site
Eyemouth is quite nice though a bit outside. Your draught means that in many places you may well have to dry out alongside. At neeps you may stay afloat in Dunbar and it is well worth a visit though the entrance can be a trifle unerving. North Berwick is also a pleasant spot and there are bouys in the bay west of the harbour entrance. Anstruther is a great place to stop especially if you enjoy a good fish supper though you will have to dry out there. Pittenweem just west of Anstruther used to be fishing boats only but is a bit more yacht friendly these days if you call the harbourmaster in advance. For Edinburgh your choice is either Granton or Port Edgar. Both have a decent bus connection into town but the us stop is a lot closer in Granton. Port Edgar has more facilities but has suffered from lack of investment for years so for example the showers are little changed from those the RN installed in WW2.

The FYCA Forth Pilot has all the info you will need.

sarabande

Visit site
I've always wanted to dry out in Cockenzie. There's a nice Fisher 25 (?) there most of the time.

funny little town; good chippy.

Continue East, and get to N Berwick. East Lothian YC.

And if you get right the way round, a visit to Torness Nuclear Power Station is worthwhile. It's a small bay and landing which is incredibly minimalist in design.

And on the North shore is Crail. Extremely pretty. Dries in parts, i.e. mostly.

Last edited:

EdWingfield

Visit site
Most of the best places are drying. If you don't know how to do it with your fin keel you'd better learn.

If the sea is slight you must go in to Isle of Elie. All the harbours of East Neuk are lovely (Pittenweem is still a busy fishing port so only the outer harbour available)

Largo will be difficult but Dysart is good. The Pilot says Methyl is not yot friendly, but I put in there in a panic with an unwell wife and the boys really looked after me and the boat, whilst at doctor.

Inchkeith is a great shore visit if a little spooky. Anchor off and go in by dinghy. Inchcolm is another similar visit although The Guardian will hit you with a small fee.

Forth Cruising Club at Limekilns is a must visit. Lovely people!

I endorse the comments above for Granton and Port Edgar.

Tis necessary you have copies aboard of 'Treasure Island' and 'Kidnapped'.

On a crappy sailing day take the bus rides to visit Culross - amazing.

I hope to be back in Forth this year too.