first trip

sch3nk3r

Visit site
I have a sealine 310 statesman which I keep on the river severn. I need to plan for a trip in the summer. Where is the best place and how far should I go for the first trip. I have not got any courses done yet but hope to a day skipper before I go.

Sneds

Visit site
Hi You could try Portishead, Bristol or Cardiff?
Might be a good idea to travel in company with another boat(s) try asking around your marina or moorings.
A lot of boats, if they have only been used on the river, suffer with clogged fuel filters and break down. Due to sediment in the fuel tank getting stirred up by the motion of the waves, might be an idea to get your tank cleared out or at least carry some spare ones.
Hope to see you down this way come the summer, I want to take our boat up to Sharpness this year, it will be our first time going "up"

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Travel in company - the "Birmingham Navy" have flotillas coming down the Channel every year.

First stop on a tide would be Portishead, then Cardiff, then Watchet or Barry. Bristol has to be done on the flood, so probably best on your way back - but then you may have problems doing Bristol-Sharpness.

Either way, I'll see you in Portishead /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

graham

Visit site
Hello Dave. Sneddons advice on clean tanks /new filters reall;y is good advice.With the strong tides you really dont want engine problems.

The passage from Sharpness down to Avonmouth is not to be underestimated.There are lots of leading marks and buoys to guide you but lots of rocks and sand to hit if you get it wrong.I would strongly advise you to take an experienced person with you first time or go on someone elses boat.

The trip down to Portishead is about 18 miles but wont take you long with the tide pushing you downstream. The trip up the River Avon and into Bristol City is interesting but you will need to wait at Portishead for the next tide as Bristols Locks dont operate on the ebb tide.