First Time Boaters (hopefully) :-)

aldanjord

Visit site
Hi all, we are hopefully going to become first time boat owners this week, we have a pre purchase survey including engine on Friday this week so fingers crossed all goes well. Although very excited about it all we are also acutely aware of what we are entering into. For information we are looking at a 1989 boat! a Fairline Carrera 24 with twin petrol engines (Volvo Penta) there is extensive paperwork with the boat covering all works completed so am pleased about that. I was just looking to see if there is any advice on these boats (other than cost hahahhaha) and what you guys would recommend as first things to do as potential new boat owners? we were fortunate enough to secure a mooring with the boat at our local marina just 2 miles form where we live)
Appreciate any and all advice :)

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Welcome along, congratulations. Without knowing more about you and the boat it’s difficult to give you a list, but in my own view, the first tasks you tackle should focus on safety - of yourselves, others, and the boat. So get some training, install safety equipment suitable for the crew and usage that you expect, and make sure you know how to use it. Then, serviceability of the boat as it stands - mechanical and electrical systems, you need to be confident that everything works and that you know how to operate it.

After that, I’d suggest you use the boat for a season (first few trips maybe with an experienced person along) before deciding what to spend more money on!

Seastoke

Visit site
When you say destinations, say where you are , as we would all argue about all destinations.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
On safety: Make sure you maintain, without exception, a proper procedure for everything related to petrol.

Extensive bilge blower use, observing wind direction when filling and much more. Petrol is flammable, the vapours are explosive and they are heavier than air, so they will travel downwards to all spaces, including your enclosed engine compartment. Even a single spark can create a big bang.

How I know? Don't ask... is was mayhem!

On cost: Keep a close eye on the sterndrives and keep up the servicing. Many people skip it because it's expensive, but it's often many times more expensive when it breaks down later due to lack of maintenance... And always when it's most inconvenient

Last edited:

Sianna

Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the forum, secondly, enjoy your boat, use it as much as you can, we too are only a few miles form our mooring and use every excuse to have dinner on the boat, have a pootle up the river, blat out to sea or just get away from the TV and spend time onboard :)

Where are you moored up as that will allow us to give you some potential first trips for you.

Engage with your marina staff and fellow berth holders, we have found so many new friends on our pontoon, everyone looks out for each other and boating in company is great fun too.

We created a list of upgrades we wanted, VHF / MDF, new lines / fenders, etc etc etc and spent the next few years sorting them out. Plan your maintenance works each year, I actually enjoy the maintenance side, anti fouling, polishing etc it gives me a chance to keep an eye on the condition of the hull and sea cocks every year.

Most of all just have fun.

aldanjord

Visit site
Firstly, welcome to the forum, secondly, enjoy your boat, use it as much as you can, we too are only a few miles form our mooring and use every excuse to have dinner on the boat, have a pootle up the river, blat out to sea or just get away from the TV and spend time onboard :)

Where are you moored up as that will allow us to give you some potential first trips for you.

Engage with your marina staff and fellow berth holders, we have found so many new friends on our pontoon, everyone looks out for each other and boating in company is great fun too.

We created a list of upgrades we wanted, VHF / MDF, new lines / fenders, etc etc etc and spent the next few years sorting them out. Plan your maintenance works each year, I actually enjoy the maintenance side, anti fouling, polishing etc it gives me a chance to keep an eye on the condition of the hull and sea cocks every year.

Thanks for the info; not needing trip advice more just general

aldanjord

Visit site

Cool thanks , have already started engaging with the marina guys, very helpful and friendly

aldanjord

Visit site
On safety: Make sure you maintain, without exception, a proper procedure for everything related to petrol.

Extensive bilge blower use, observing wind direction when filling and much more. Petrol is flammable, the vapours are explosive and they are heavier than air, so they will travel downwards to all spaces, including your enclosed engine compartment. Even a single spark can create a big bang.

How I know? Don't ask... is was mayhem!

On cost: Keep a close eye on the sterndrives and keep up the servicing. Many people skip it because it's expensive, but it's often many times more expensive when it breaks down later due to lack of maintenance... And always when it's most inconvenient
Thanks for the advice on stern drives

jrudge

Visit site
The most honest advise I can give you is don't buy a petrol engined boat. If it is staggeringly cheap then fine but if not pull out.

Your fuel cost will be significantly higher , it is explosive ( this is a major deal on a inboard engine boat as vapour sinks and a relative of mine blew one to pieces in San Remo - literally blew it to bits ) , selling it will be hard and I gather in the U.K. it is hard to get ( no idea why was every med marina sells it as there are lots of tenders and outboard ribs that run on it )

Honestly just don't do it.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
... a relative of mine blew one to pieces..
Me too. On board our 24' with twin Volvo AQ130 B20 engines, with a full tank.

38 years ago now, but still clear in every detail in my memory.
My then 4-year-old son was with me and it was a close call.
Since then I have been adamant that inboard engines must be diesel and petrol engines must hang off the outside of the transom.

And when shafts are good enough for Maersk, they're good enough for me.

jakew009

Visit site
Me too. On board our 24' with twin Volvo AQ130 B20 engines, with a full tank.

38 years ago now, but still clear in every detail in my memory.
My then 4-year-old son was with me and it was a close call.
Since then I have been adamant that inboard engines must be diesel and petrol engines must hang off the outside of the transom.

And when shafts are good enough for Maersk, they're good enough for me.

It’s also fair to say that a fuel leak in a diesel boat is a mess, whereas a fuel leak in a petrol boat is an emergency.

Being 20 miles out to sea and looking into the bilge and seeing a pool of petrol wasn’t fun at all (seal had gone on fuel tank sender).

Sianna

Visit site
The most honest advise I can give you is don't buy a petrol engined boat. If it is staggeringly cheap then fine but if not pull out.

Your fuel cost will be significantly higher , it is explosive ( this is a major deal on a inboard engine boat as vapour sinks and a relative of mine blew one to pieces in San Remo - literally blew it to bits ) , selling it will be hard and I gather in the U.K. it is hard to get ( no idea why was every med marina sells it as there are lots of tenders and outboard ribs that run on it )

Honestly just don't do it.
I knew there was a good reason why I bought a diesel

this video has been shown many times before but a sobering thought.