First time boat owner - First lift into water checklist

stevd

Visit site
Hello everyone.

Ok, so I am hoping to have my first boat lifted into the water for the first time in a week or so. I have spent the last 9 months fixing things and doing the suggested repairs / maintainance from the survey.

Do people have their own checklist of things they do prior to launching, and a list for immediately after launched. I dont mind even the simplest of things to be mentioned such as checking for leaky fittings.

Many thanks

Biggles Wader

Visit site
Have a torch with good batteries handy.Obviously you will need to check for leaks,but you also need to be able to see into all the dark nooks and crannies.

TonyBuckley

www.icloud.com
Hello everyone.

Ok, so I am hoping to have my first boat lifted into the water for the first time in a week or so. I have spent the last 9 months fixing things and doing the suggested repairs / maintainance from the survey.

Do people have their own checklist of things they do prior to launching, and a list for immediately after launched. I dont mind even the simplest of things to be mentioned such as checking for leaky fittings.

Many thanks

What type of boat? Wood/GRP?

Where is it being lifted into?

What facilities are around you?

What have you been 'fixing'?

budgester

Visit site
I feel your apprehension, bought our first boat 2 years ago, and now on the 3 put in.....

What I have learned,

If anything is underwater do it while it's on land, other than that get it on the water and enjoy....

So things to make sure are done....

Antifoul
Anodes
Rudder Bearings.
Cutlass/Prop shaft bearing
Stern Gland
Sea Cocks
Thru Hull fittings.

stevd

Visit site
Its a Grp Moody 33

Into the sea at Holyhead Marina

Engine - full rebuild, new propeller, re-packed stern gland, all skin fitting and sea cocks, electrics, steering, replaced rigging, bilge pumps, gas piping, chain plates resealed, new batteries. To be fair, the survey was very good, its just the boat had been sat for a few years on the hard before I bought her. The biggest problem was with the engine, but I hope that is all sorted.

stevd

Visit site
Forgot to mention, hull stripped of old antifoul, primed and re-antifouled. New annodes,

The cutless and rudder bearings seems fine. Anything else? Also, the keel bolts are fine. Cleaned them back to bright metal and painted them. Very little corroion on them.

prv

Visit site
Here's my contribution to the list:

After lifting in with all seacocks closed, and checking that there are no leaks, remember to open the engine seacock before motoring round to your berth or mooring!

(Only done it once :) )

Pete

BlueChip

Visit site
Ask the yard to hold it in the slings when launched while you board her and look for leaks, once you are happy they can release the slings and off you go. If there is a leak its easy for them to lift you again

stevd

Visit site
Good advice.

I have heard that they are quite good in the yard. They will wait with the boat in slings until you are completely satisified. I will let them know it will be my first launch so hopefully they will be extra patient :)

KenMcCulloch

Visit site
Forgot to mention, hull stripped of old antifoul, primed and re-antifouled. New annodes,

The cutless and rudder bearings seems fine. Anything else? Also, the keel bolts are fine. Cleaned them back to bright metal and painted them. Very little corroion on them.
Sounds good. Anyone who takes the care to spell 'cutless bearing' correctly has probably paid attention to other details. Good luck.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Only if the lifters don't know what they are doing.

I agree. Any operator can position the slings on the hard so they do not foul anything, it's lifting it out that may lead to problems. So two points arise: mark where the slings are so when the boat is lifted out they can be put in the same place. Some yards do this anyway but some don't. Put the log impeller in, because no new owner wants his first action to be to take the bung out and put the impeller in. Once done for the first couple of times it is easy, but not on your first ever day afloat.

AndrewB

Visit site
Good advice.

I have heard that they are quite good in the yard. They will wait with the boat in slings until you are completely satisified. I will let them know it will be my first launch so hopefully they will be extra patient :)
Sounds like you've got it pretty much sorted. Don't allow yourself to be rushed in checking every through-hull hole: weeps may take a few moments to appear. Often these can be tightened up afloat, so it's not necessarily a reason to abort. Ask one of the yard guys to advise if necessary.

If you are being lifted in by crane, or with a very small travel-hoist, it may be necessary to drop your backstay during the lift. Check beforehand if the yard will want this done, and be prepared. It is a good idea to loosen the forestay a little at the same time, and do make sure there is still something left holding up the mast!

An unusual item I forgot with my previous boat was the keel drain. The steel keel was designed to hold oil to inhibit rust, but it ended up holding water.

bignick

Visit site
A few simple thoughts (like me... :) )
GRP doesn't leak through solid laminate, only through cracks.
Check:
1: Skin fittings
2: Prop shaft
3: Keel bolts

What sort of stern gland do you have? If it's a volvo dripless seal it will need "burping" to let air out. What sort is it? Some need special treatment, some not.

Nick

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Ask the yard to hold it in the slings when launched while you board her and look for leaks, once you are happy they can release the slings and off you go. If there is a leak its easy for them to lift you again

The yard at Port Bannatyne won't take the slings away until I have been in the floating boat and had a good look round.

Shearwater

Visit site
With my first 'big' boat, a 22 ft motorsailer, I didn't know there was a water coolant inlet tap/valve so didn't look for it. Until there was a very loud bang just outside the marina. Open the water inlet (and now I know bleed the gland if nessecary) BEFORE you start the motor. A really good idea, especially if groundstaff have been down in the bowels of the boat.