First Large Boat - Advice Needed. Liveaboard

Colinkites2000

Visit site
Hello all,

I was hoping to get a little advice on choosing a boat from some people with experience. You all seem to fit- maybe you can assist me. I'm flying to Florida from Puerto Rico on Tuesday and renting a car. From there I will be driving around and looking at boats in the 30-40 foot range with $25,000 (absolute maximum) burning in my pocket. Will not leave until I have it.

I grew up sailing in Canada on the Great Lakes on my parents Northern 25. Sailed that a great deal, raced many small boats and high-per skiffs and did a little weekend booze cruising on Hughes 40's and similar boats. I am now married and finally have enough money (I think) to buy a fairly well equipped albeit older sailboat between 30 and 40 feet. We want to use it for crusing the Caribbean when we have time off and the islands surrounding Puerto Rico on the weekends when my wife is in school. I have found a few well equipped Bristol 29.9's from the 70's from $14,000-$22,000. These seem to have held their value pretty well.. as have most boats I see for sale that are 25+ years old! I find that amazing.

Important things to me are; 1) seaworthy and safe in a blow, 2) comfortable down below with a reasonable amount of space for the size, 3) Doesn't have excessive weather helm when it's howling (Endeavour 32' etc.)

There are so many boats for sale in Florida. I feel like I just need to get one and get going. Any advice on particular models to stay away from or lean towards would be greatly appreciated. Do you think the Bristol 29.9 would fit our needs? What about an S2 9.2A? Or Beneteau First 30E. Should I really be looking for something bigger? Please help!!!!! Feel free to email me privately at the address below or call me 939 640 4888.

All the best,
Colin Gowland
gowland@sent.com

<hr width=100% size=1>