First AC race

jlavery

Visit site
Why would that be a good thing? And what would be “proper boats”? Gaff rigged schooners? Seawanhaka rule gaff sloops? Foiling cats?
And bear in mind all the competitors and most of the target audience will be massively younger than the average age of this forum’s participants.
Good point - where do we stop?

jlavery

Visit site
Why would that be a good thing? And what would be “proper boats”? Gaff rigged schooners? Seawanhaka rule gaff sloops? Foiling cats?
And bear in mind all the competitors and most of the target audience will be massively younger than the average age of this forum’s participants.
Good point - where do we stop with the retrograde move? Onward and upward! But with a RC which acknowledges that sometimes conditions aren't suitable.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I would love to see the AC reverting back to 'proper' boats, but have to accept that the AC has always been innovative and the latest competitors do provide some spectacular imagery and excitement which hopefully will broaden the interest of those who have never considered watching yacht racing as a sport.
Perhaps there is a case for a second AC restricted to 'proper' boats, but whether it could compete for funding sufficient to operate against the spectacle provided by these latest entrants, especially from the media which has finally seen a broadcast-able watersport, is doubtful.

dunedin

Visit site
I would love to see the AC reverting back to 'proper' boats, but have to accept that the AC has always been innovative and the latest competitors do provide some spectacular imagery and excitement which hopefully will broaden the interest of those who have never considered watching yacht racing as a sport.
Perhaps there is a case for a second AC restricted to 'proper' boats, but whether it could compete for funding sufficient to operate against the spectacle provided by these latest entrants, especially from the media which has finally seen a broadcast-able watersport, is doubtful.
Again what is “proper” ? I am sure the over 70s at the time objected to the move from gaff rigged schooners to things like the new fangled J Class.
The foiling genie is not going back into the bottle, so the only real questions are whether the current monohulls with swinging weight foil craft are better than foiling multihulls as used in SailGB, or whether something better than both.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Again what is “proper” ? I am sure the over 70s at the time objected to the move from gaff rigged schooners to things like the new fangled J Class.
The foiling genie is not going back into the bottle, so the only real questions are whether the current monohulls with swinging weight foil craft are better than foiling multihulls as used in SailGB, or whether something better than both.
I was using the term 'proper' as shorthand for boats where the hulls stay in the water (the sort of boat that most of us on the forum muck about in) but I agree the genie is out of the bottle and accept that visually these 'foils' provide an element of spectacle to yacht racing that might in the long run provide televised coverage similar to that of F1.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
The AC yachts have pushed technology, which eventually reaches cruising boats. Long may it last.
I love the spectacle of the AC these days and when the wind gets up, the tactics come into play and make the up and down nature of the course irrelevant.
Definitely a good watch on TV with the moving lines and tactic analysis. I love the raw power these boats have when going full chat.