Fenders, socks or not.....?

LadyJ

Visit site
Not to be a prophet of doom but in advanced preparation for the eventually coming winter what are the thoughts re fender socks. In the summer my sock less fenders have been fine with limited windy days etc but come the windier days and many weeks tied to a pontoon, what are the views on whether fenders are better with or without socks? Top sides are white gelcoat so not really noticeable but inevitably there will be some fender rub, thoughts? Also if the consensus is yes then white fenders, white gelcoat, what colour of socks?

Firefly625

Visit site
Yes

Navy

Compass marine, Dartmouth. Best fender socks in the world. Do bespoke sizes no extra charge, lovely people to deal with.

Arguments that they can scratch top sides, in 20 years never been an issue. I guess if you roll them in sand before use you could have issues.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Yes

Navy

Compass marine, Dartmouth. Best fender socks in the world. Do bespoke sizes no extra charge, lovely people to deal with.

Arguments that they can scratch top sides, in 20 years never been an issue. I guess if you roll them in sand before use you could have issues.

If your fender socks were coming into contact with lock walls on a regular basis you would change your mind.

maby

Visit site
If your fender socks were coming into contact with lock walls on a regular basis you would change your mind.

We don't use them and I have been tempted. You certainly need to wash them frequently - otherwise you may as well wrap the fender in sandpaper.

jfm

Visit site
I'm a "yes" and in a lifetime of boating I have never experienced the "trapped grit" problem. No doubt if you did berth against gritty walls this might be a problem, but if you berth against wooden pontoons or other boats, etc, it is obviously not going to be a problem

Colour is down to choice but I prefer black or grey (I don't have any blue on the boat's exterior). Dudley at m2mfenders.eu is a good supplier

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I'm a "yes" and in a lifetime of boating I have never experienced the "trapped grit" problem. No doubt if you did berth against gritty walls this might be a problem, but if you berth against wooden pontoons or other boats, etc, it is obviously not going to be a problem

It also depends on the weave. The common towelling materials don't have a very tight weave and can be more susceptible to trapping grit and sand.

Pete

Latestarter1

Visit site
U.S Paints were asked the question by Mrs Elizabeth Meyer when advising on painting the hull of Endeavour and prepared a report on the subject.

Simple answer was no to turning fenders into 3M scouring pads by absorption of grit and dust.

gjgm

Visit site
Not to be a prophet of doom but in advanced preparation for the eventually coming winter what are the thoughts re fender socks. In the summer my sock less fenders have been fine with limited windy days etc but come the windier days and many weeks tied to a pontoon, what are the views on whether fenders are better with or without socks? Top sides are white gelcoat so not really noticeable but inevitably there will be some fender rub, thoughts? Also if the consensus is yes then white fenders, white gelcoat, what colour of socks?
The key to fender socks is the state of your fenders ;)
We have no socks on one side, as that side is always clear, and socks on the other, which is the side we always berth. Seems to me there is more wear on blue gel on that side, but whether due to grit(quite possible given we have a lock to clear) or just more wear anyway, I do not know.
Mind you, the lock wall has now cut through the fender socks anyway, so unless I want to clean my fenders I will have to buy some more.

Latestarter1

Visit site
View attachment 53300
Haha! Like the employees of a paint company would know more than people who actually own and use boats!

As U.S. Paints who in addition to manufacturing Awlgrip and 70% of the paints applied to Worlds commercial aircraft know a thing or two about the strength of their paint film and the causes of abrasion damage..

Endeavour despite a pretty busy itinerary but always looks flawless over the wall and on the original advice has never used fender sox.

rafiki_

Visit site
We have to negotiate some pretty unpleasant and slimy locks in our cruising grounds, so fender socks are a no-no. Being a tad OCD I can be caught cleaning my fenders on the odd occasion :)

Portofino

Visit site
Yes - but no science behind this .
They sit on the rub rail so min contact with fibreglass ,are blue look nice ,have Itama logo on them ,both neighbours have socks too.
Unlikely to transit muddy locks and when it rains here if pours down + I Allways wash boat and fenders with socks when back @ berth .
Also 1/2 M air gap between boats anyway .Only really rub if it's F7 +

Last edited:

maby

Visit site
Yes - but no science behind this .
They sit on the rub rail so min contact with fibreglass ,are blue look nice ,have Itama logo on them ,both neighbours have socks too.
Unlikely to transit muddy locks and when it rains here if pours down + I Allways wash boat and fenders with socks when back @ berth .
Also 1/2 M air gap between boats anyway .Only really rub if it's F7 +

Ah, but this makes a couple of assumptions! First - you have a rubbing strake - I would love one, but few modern boats have them. Second - you are moored up against walls or other boats - we moor in marinas and the fenders are primarily there to protect us from the pontoons which are well below the level of any rubbing strake.

prv

Visit site
My dad paid for the paint job on our shared boat, so I defer to him on all matters relating to the topsides. He opted for socks, and so far there's no sign of fender wear on the paint.

This was my solution when we berthed against walls in the West Country this summer:

8673AC61-63BA-440A-857A-CCAC4BECB2C2_zpspsdieydj.jpg

Pete