Fenders, socks or not.....?

Portofino

Visit site
Ah, but this makes a couple of assumptions! First - you have a rubbing strake - I would love one, but few modern boats have them. Second - you are moored up against walls or other boats - we moor in marinas and the fenders are primarily there to protect us from the pontoons which are well below the level of any rubbing strake.
Yup neighbours all the rubbing strakes more or less same hieght-as I said" no science "

null_zpsoinfhsrq.jpg

Jamesuk

Visit site
Not to be a prophet of doom but in advanced preparation for the eventually coming winter what are the thoughts re fender socks. In the summer my sock less fenders have been fine with limited windy days etc but come the windier days and many weeks tied to a pontoon, what are the views on whether fenders are better with or without socks? Top sides are white gelcoat so not really noticeable but inevitably there will be some fender rub, thoughts? Also if the consensus is yes then white fenders, white gelcoat, what colour of socks?

YES best time now 'Back to school' large Navy (for navy fenders) T-Shirts. £2 bargain.

Learnt thisnoff a boat I saw at Sunsail in Little Vathi, they used flourecent T-Shirts on white fenders.

I reuse my fender socks as polishing rags. Boss sees £16 for 8 fender socks and remembers spending £35 on one!!

Ps Plymouth - 50 knots they were fine but began to get upset after a few months so best splash out and buy double the amount or if money is a concern use the internet and buy them in Bulk for 5 years works out about 0.80p for 50 ;-) 100% cotton

Last edited: