Female Yacht Owners

Blueboatman

Visit site
And so, following on from that:

One might wonder if female yacht owners anthropomorphise their boats and give them a gender identity to quite the same extent as we chaps do?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Why is the gender of ownership so important? Plenty of competent skilful ladies on the water.
I think women sailors ability has never been in doubt. If anything, they seem to have more stamina than men. Looking after sick children night after night with little sleep has put me to shame.

The big growth for womens sailing seems to be in the charter market. One site I looked at has more women then men chartering. There not stupid are they ? Why would you own and maintain a boat in the Northern Hemisphere , when you can sail a nice modern boat somewhere warm and walk away from the stress of ownership. :)

dgadee

Visit site
At youth dinghy events you see loads of young girls competing. Probably 50%. I've wondered why that cohort of male and female don't seem to move into cruising, with fewer females doing so. I sailed with a friend in the early 80s who got a large redundancy payment and she blew it on a 34 footer. That was not usual for the times.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
in the early 80s who got a large redundancy payment and she blew it on a 34 footer. That was not usual for the times.

When I read about stuff like that I am reminded of a scene in Boys From The Black Stuff, where a gang of men descend on a pub and the landlord looks on in trepidation and says, “oh no, not another redundancy party.”

It was one of those sad funny moments in a rather depressing time.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Our yacht club had to change the club rules quite rapidly (and were probably a little late to the party with the benefit of hindsight) about 20 years ago when they realised their first female Commordore couldn’t attend her own Commodore’s Dinner as no ladies were allowed.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
I've met Dee Caffari, in her role as a member of the RNLI's operations committee.

I gather she's done a bit of sailing.

jamie N

Visit site
My daughter sailed at South Brisbane with her non-sailing husband, and gave it up as it was showing a side of her that her 'man' hadn't seen before :ROFLMAO: !

dgadee

Visit site
When I read about stuff like that I am reminded of a scene in Boys From The Black Stuff, where a gang of men descend on a pub and the landlord looks on in trepidation and says, “oh no, not another redundancy party.”

It was one of those sad funny moments in a rather depressing time.

Not sad for her. She immediately moved to the south coast to teach statistics to military types.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
And very fetching in her Union Jack bikini when sailing.
But I doubt that is a very constructive comment in the current climate & this thread :)

That's not what she was wearing when she visited our lifeboat station.

Although it was January, to be fair.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Princess Anne is the only lady I have ever met that I can say I am pretty sure owned a yacht. In fairness I couldn't say who actually owned just about every yacht I've been on. I don't ask as it's really not relevant to me but it's quite possible many were joint-owned by husband and wife.

Poignard

Visit site
Princess Anne is the only lady I have ever met that I can say I am pretty sure owned a yacht. In fairness I couldn't say who actually owned just about every yacht I've been on. I don't ask as it's really not relevant to me but it's quite possible many were joint-owned by husband and wife.
On that basis I can say that I am married to a yacht-owner, since we are joint owners of our yacht. I

Poignard

Visit site
Honestly if I was married or in a relationship I wanted be in for life it wouldn't occur for me to do it any other way.
Apart from that, there's a practical reason for joint ownership.

Whichever of us survives the other continues as sole owner of the yacht without executors needing to get involved, and there is no need to re-register her.

Last edited: