Fein multitool - antone got one?

ThreeSummers

Visit site
I'm looking for something that will enable me to sand right into a 45 degree corner. My RO sander don't fit!

Will a Fein do it?

Any ideas what might? I'm not talking about light sanding, but epoxy/glass and I have to get into every nook and cranny of 17 feet of half built boat... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

srp

Visit site
The Fein is the only tool I know that is likely to - they do a range of tct abrasive attachments that are ok with epoxy. They are very good tools, but not capable of miracles. The biggest advantage for me is that they don't fill the air with dust like an angle grinder, and you can cut and sand right into a corner.

mparrish

Visit site
Fein - great tools - we use them at work (flooring fitters/tilers/kitchen installation - not really related). Do a wide variety of blades, scrapers, sanders. As has been stated they don't fill the air with dust and are great for cutting/sanding into awkward corners. Only issue is with the blade attachment to the body - a better design would good. Having said that other tradesmen that I know have bought loads of them.

Robin2

Visit site
I was hooked from the moment I read the article in PBO a few months ago. I went straight to the web and bought one. I wonder now how I got on without it - especially being able to cut in awkward places. The tungsten carbide sanding attachments are wonderfully aggressive - they even eat chipboard (and before there are any wisecracks, its not on my boat).

If someone reads this with more experience than I have maybe they could tell me why it has variable speed? I have not found any reason to work below full speed.

I think there is a newer model now with a quick-release feature for the tools.

Poignard

Visit site
Excellent machine. I've had one for several years and it's very useful.

The only problem I've had is with the hook and loop triangular pads that you attach the sanding sheets to. The corners of the pads soon wear and then lose their grip. The effect is worse with coarse grit sheets. Anyone else found this problem?

JerryHawkins

Visit site
Go and buy one now!

You won't regret it.

Only had mine about a month and already found it very useful. The "plunge cutting" is great. You can cut a hole as small as 10mm x 10mm into a panel. No need to drill a jigsaw blade sized hole then use the jigsaw. Also one of the safest power tools around, with the blade just "vibrating" you can touch it without damaging yourself!

Cheers,

Jerry

ThreeSummers

Visit site
Re: Go and buy one now!

Mmm, this could be expensive - I forked out a couple of hundred quid last week on a new drill and a top-of-the-range Bosch jigsaw (which is pure joy to use). Now a Fein as well...

Lemme think about it for a few hours...

Thanks for the responses all. Most helpful.

Visit site
I've used the Fein Mulitimaster for a couple of years, and it really is a versatile piece of kit. The sawing capability is great for those awkward or otherwise impossible jobs - recently I used it to cut through some copper nails on my boat, a job which would have taken hours of swearing with a hacksaw blade.
In the latest edition of the tool Fein have addressed some of the niggles with blade attachment, and I've read that it's also a bit quieter than the old one.
The accessories are eye-wateringly expensive, especially the saw blades. Given that these are often used for "tricky" applications they don't last all that long in my experience. I now make my own blades by cutting sections off a Japanese pull-saw blade and drilling a 10mm hole in. Pence rather than pounds! Also make my own sanding pads cut from a roll of velcro-backed abrasive bought cheap from Screwfix.
And yes, the sanding backing pads do wear out quickly at the corners. Not solved that one yet.
But overall an excellent tool - I wouldn't be without mine.

yobbo

Visit site
Sanding pads easy to fix grind or sand off vecro backing and then get a velcro backing disc for a disc sander and cut abit out to fit ,if you buy the right size you get a number of replacement . I also replace my random orbit sanding pads velcro face this way as well.