Fastrack or some milles first???

jmartins

Visit site
hi
fastrack or experience first??

i´m tired of computers =) and want to make a carreer change but don´t know where to start. At the moment i´m doing a little research, reading a lot of forum posts, get some school information, but i haven´t done my mind yet. SO, i´m making this post to get some help from you. thanks

João from Portugal

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by jmartins on 25/08/2004 15:44 (server time).</FONT></P>

snowleopard

Visit site
if you go sailing with other people first, you'll make more sense of the theory tuition later.

don't expect to make much money out of sailing. i tried and went back to computing until i could afford to build a boat & retire.

and it's not a good idea to put your personal email address on posts that anyone can see. if you want someone to know your address, send it to them in a PM (personal message)

good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

jmartins

Visit site
i´m not a complete novice, i´ve done some dinghy sailing, first class 8... but what i really want to know is: is it better to do a fastrack course to get a certification, or become part of a crew (like a volunteer) to get experience taking the courses till yachtmaster between some legs?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Althorne

Visit site
Snowleopard is right to advise crewing before study. I was a late comer to sailing and can vouch for the fact that having no knowledge of 'proper' sailing makes nonsense of a study course. Spend the rest of this year crewing for others and learn as much as you can about pilotage, charts, weather and tides irrespective of where you live.
Good luck with your new career.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://colvicownersclub.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk

snowleopard

Visit site
there is a temptation to think "i've got my yachtmaster so i know all i need to know" and stop learning.

on the other hand you'll probably find it easier to get crew slots with a certificate.

then again you'll have a much tougher time in the exam when the examiner sees you have the minimum number of miles over a short period.

you pays your money & takes your choice.

<hr width=100% size=1>

alant

Visit site
Get some sea miles in - a few proper offshore passages - just to make sure its for you. Then make your mind up. It can be bloody tough & ain't as romantic as you might think when looking at it from a desk.

<hr width=100% size=1>

rich

www.portofjersey.je
Loads of boats here in Jersey, trying to get home when theres a weather window, most have sent wifes n kids home on ferry, get here quick an ask for lift home. they will all want you, look for a yacht called "elm stone" {there you go david, told you i would find crew for you.}

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.jersey-harbours.com