"Farecla gel" for cleaning topsides ?

aidancoughlan

Visit site
Re: \"Farecla gel\" for cleaning topsides ?

Are you sure it wasnt Farecla compound? do a google, or try www.farecla.com
Its like "T-cut" and designed for cars - G3 is coarse, G6 coarser, G10 is very fine.

ps. It will help "clean" faded topsides, but its more of a cutting agent than a cleaner (ie. it takes a small later of the Gel coat off) so you dont want to do it too often.

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site

I discovered the G3 & G10 paste last year, it worked a treat on somebody elses boat. If you use it keep the speed of the polisher to 2000 rpm and keep the surface being treated doused with a fine spray of water. If the surface dries out you could easily burn the gel coat. I applied the paste to the surface first with a small roller this worked for me. The finish after polishing is to be seen to be believed well worth the effort.

Trevor

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com

Farecla is a polishing compound. Best way to use it is with a 150mm diameter unstitched linen mop in an electric drill - basically about 30 or so disks of linen in a mandrel. Use it edge on. ie you use the circumference of the mop. Apply Compound with a damp cloth, small areas, perhaps one to two square foot at a time. Buff the area up keeping the surface speed of the mop high but being careful to ensure the temperature of the gelcoat does not get too high. I ususally work with the linen mop damp. Dip it in a buket of water occasionally to keep it clean and moist.

Using this method I have got 20 square metres of gelcoat to a mirror finish from being sanded with 600 grit, 1200 grit and then 1500 grit wet and dry paper.

VicS

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Best way to use it is with a 150mm diameter unstitched linen mop in an electric drill

[/ QUOTE ] Surely the BEST way is to use the foam mops that are sold for the purpose and on a polishing machine which does not exceed the max recommended speed.

homerj

Visit site

I think it might be G3 fine---to G10 course check it out

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com

[ QUOTE ]
Surely the BEST way is to use the foam mops that are sold for the purpose and on a polishing machine which does not exceed the max recommended speed.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO no it isnt. It may be for automotive paints but not gelcoat.

jerryat

Visit site

Hi Vic,

>> Surely the BEST way is to use the foam mops that are sold for the purpose and on a polishing machine which does not exceed the max recommended speed. <<

I entirely agree with you. I use a Makita sander/polisher that revs from zero upwards and helps get a steady, EVEN polishing/buffing motion over the whole hull. Trying to do the same thing to the same standard, by hand, is next to impossible unless you spread the work over a much longer period. It's just too tiring otherwise.

Using the correct density foam pads at the different stages is essential IMHO, and produces a finish similar that when the boat first pops out of the mould.

Yes, the job can be done by hand, but the result is not as good or as consistant in my experience.

jackho

Visit site

Anybody know the equivalent of T-Cut vs what grade of Farecla? I had intended to use T-Cut to brighten up my topsides- now I might opt for the later!!!

VicS

Visit site

G10 is the fine grade. Use with a very soft sponge mop or a sheepskin bonnet.

But take a look at the web site, link in an early reply, and look at the marine section as well as the automotive section.

shakatar

Visit site

g10 is a fine paste and is used to remove the swirl marks left from using g3