Faramir

fredrussell

Visit site
I sometimes think Lord of the Rings names for boats are a bit cheesy - there’s a Shadowfax on the Orwell, where Faramir used to reside. To each their own of course, and that Faramir is a beauty and no mistaking it.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I sometimes think Lord of the Rings names for boats are a bit cheesy - there’s a Shadowfax on the Orwell, where Faramir used to reside. To each their own of course, and that Faramir is a beauty and no mistaking it.
And an East Coast built boat.
Fox's I believe.

Juan Twothree

Visit site
Either there's more than one Shadowfax, or it's been around a lot of different places over the last 30 years or so.

Can't remember the type. Has a pale blue hull?

fredrussell

Visit site
Either there's more than one Shadowfax, or it's been around a lot of different places over the last 30 years or so.

Can't remember the type. Has a pale blue hull?
Hmm, now you’ve got me. I think you’re right - it was pale blue. A Sadler perhaps? Was at Pin Mill when I was on a mooring there 5 years ago.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
I believe she was originally built for the Ocean Youth Club. Here is a pic of Faramir passing Suffolk Yacht Harbour in September 2015.

View attachment 172776
The OYC yachts were built in a purpose built yard set up by Geoffrey Williams in Penryn Cornwall (close to where the Rustler yard is now). FIrst built was Scott Bader, then Falmouth Packet, both tiller steered. SB needed one crew to sit on the tiller with legs on lee bench and steered like a pig due to offset prop. Packet was better, but an 8' ish long tiller was a PITA... They built a handful before selling the yard as I recall. At 16/17 I sailed on both SB and Packet that were based in Plymouth.

14K478

Visit site
Faramir is wooden! Cold moulded. The OYC boats were GRP foam sandwich with mild steel frames which is why they are no longer around, or so I have been told.

14K478

Visit site
Hull shape looks identical to the GRP boats, was she a "prototype"?
No. She is bigger. She was designed by David Cannell (DMC Marine, Colchester) for the Shaftesbury Homes as "Arethusa" and built in 1981/2..

In 2002 the Shaftesbury Homes gave up and sold her and in 2006 the Cirdan Sailing Trust bought her to replace their ex OYC boat "Hartlepool Renaissance" which was falling apart.

I think that may be where the confusion arises - the Cirdan Trust did have an ex OYC ketch but that was not this boat. Perhaps adding to the confusion the Cirdan Trust used to have a boat based in British West Hartlepool or some other corner of Ultima Thule, but then brought their fleet together Dahn Sarth.

Last edited:

MikeBz

Visit site
… The OYC boats were GRP foam sandwich with mild steel frames which is why they are no longer around, or so I have been told.

The former OYC “Master Builder”, now “Zenara”, was for sale in 2017: Robert Clark 72 - Seriously For Sale | Grabau International.

I remember her on her fore-and-aft mooring just inside Brightlingsea Creek in the 70s - it was always an interesting decision which side of her to go when racing especially when tacking out of the creek at low tide.

Dave 71

Visit site
There's a Helms Deep and a Bilbo on the Crouch, and although not seen last year, there used to be an Elendil - you really have to dig around in Tolkien's background mythology for that one (or use google)

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
There's a Helms Deep and a Bilbo on the Crouch, and although not seen last year, there used to be an Elendil - you really have to dig around in Tolkien's background mythology for that one (or use google)
Elendil is mentioned in LOTR, though I agree there's a lot more in The Silmarillion. Personally, I'd choose Earendil ("Earendil was a mariner that tarried in Arvenion....."

14K478

Visit site
The Cirdan Trust say that their founder chose the names, and since they are a pretty good outfit I can put up with some Tolkien names. Anyway Duet is a good name.