Famous people on boats

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Tcm's post below has got me thinking about whether I have ever met anyone famous on a boat. Apart from Haydn, the closest I've got is Jim Davidson coming ashore on a tender at Lyme Regis, but didn't actually see him as I was already in the pub whilst others were unloading the boat!

There must be loads of famous peeps floating around in their tubs, maybe they look totally different or just don't want to be recognised. There must be some interesting stories to tell.

mtb

Visit site
I used to have the same accountant as Jim Davidson
R Symons and co where else !! Edgware of course
Blooming great accountant I must have been his one charity case HA HA
Mr D is a very clever bussiness man as well as funny

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats
I want a big steel ex trawler / tug v/cheep or swap for tug

coliholic

Visit site
Saw Jim D do his one man show year before last in Gt Yarmouth, he owns the pier there, and he was really funny. Told a story about being rescued in his boat by the RNLI. After the rescue he gave them a thank you in the form of £5K. At the SBS, he was walking past the RNLI stand and one of the lifeboatman who'd rescued him happened to be on the stand and started making a big thing to the public about JIm D's generosity and of course said that Jim was a fully paid up member of the RNLI. At which point Jim said he actually wasn't, so the lifeboatman conned him out of a joining up fee.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Jim's quite a handy yachtsman and not a bad boat handler too. He used to be a regular at St Kats and always mixed with everyone.
Years ago I remember talking to a big dude with tattoos in the Bar at the Royal Corinthian YC in Cowes, bought each other a pint, later that day someone asked my how long had I known King Olaf of Norway.

ô¿ô

tcm

Visit site
Re: Shaw Taylor!

Not desperately famous. But on the telly. Was this on a fabulous ship in the med? No! He had a right ratheap of a sailboat at Hamble point. Which just goes to show that altho crime might not pay, it's better than the alternative! Hmm. Well anyway, he was actually quite a nice chap.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Suppose we could widen this to boats with famous owners/ex owners. In Exmouth docks there is a boat purported to have been owned by james Bond, otherwise known as Roger Moore.

Also remember reading that Ernie Wise used to have a small boat (Norman 23?) which he kept at the bottom of his garden.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by longjohnsilver on Tue Mar 19 22:44:42 2002 (server time).</FONT></P>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Can remember the imfimouse LJS coming to my boat. Also ToMo. Both on the same day. Also a news presenter from Central Tv. But we dont get Central in Lancashire so not famous to us. No. Long John Silver is about the most famous person I know!!

Dont forget to order your Burgee. PM me.

Haydn

G

Not strictly on a boat, but while I was in a Jet Ski shop this morning I realised that the other person in the shop was Malcom Wilson-Ex British rally champion and current team principle of the works Ford rally team ( Colin Mcrae's Boss)
He was ordering some new toys- amazing he can afford any really, they've written off 3 cars this year already(Carlos wrote another off yesterday in testing)

I also met Timmy Mallet in a Thames lock- but he really doesnt count.

lyc

Visit site
Jim Davidson paid for an inshore lifeboat for Caister on Sea, Norfolk and fundraises for them yearly. Bernard Matthews bought the larger boat for them.

BarryD

Visit site
Er thought I'd beat KevB to this - had a look around "Don't Panic" a Targa 29 that is for sale in Chichester, owned by Nicholas Lyndhurst aka Rodney / Time traveling morom or something like that. Very tidy boat, cheap, low hours and all leather downstairs.

Had to laugh the salesman made a point that it was owned by a local TV star, and he kept dropping hints "Nick this" and "Nick that" I refused to bite as KevB had allready given me the full speil.

Barry D.

IMHO & FWIW, NWGOI.

DepSol

Visit site
Great Pub, The Trout
What abou Chris Tarrant, didnt he have his boat torched once and Steve McFadden aka Phil from EastEnders was photographed more than several times after buying a new bayliner then several more times buying a suzukidinghy and engine package.
Dont forget all the F1 guys Button Ervine Jordan etc

stewart

Visit site
sound familiar.....?

Happen to know that there's a famous scottish rally driver who has a Targa 48 in Puerto Pollnsa, Mallorca but is considering upgrading to a Leopard.........

DepSol

Visit site
Re: ah but have u seenem?

Ok, I have seen Eddie Irvines boat in Guernsey but he was not on it and the same with Eddie Jordans.

I've seen John Wilson on a boat :) Also Alan Priddy on my boat :).

Dom