facnor furler

simonfraser

Visit site
Hi,

just been advised to have above by my local rigger, is it any good ?
sugestions welcome, my boat, 8m open decked cat.

regards, Simon

FullCircle

Visit site
Have the S60 Facnor on my 22 footer. Great, and easy to install, came with even the drill bit for the supplied pop rivets! Try Crusader Sails for a very good price deal.

Jim

penultimate

Visit site
Agree with Jimdew. Are you talking about headsail or mainsail?
I have both, both supplied by Facnor. The mainsail furling sytem has worked well for 14 years now and am on my second mainsail which has non-overlapping battens. These permit some roach but you will still not get the drive of a fuller cut conventional mainsail with a decent sized roach.
The Headsail furling system is 3 years old and was very easy to fit. It works well and my only criticism is the open furling drum. It is possible to get the furling line drop below the drum, particularly on the run. Not only is it difficult to free but 10:1 you only discover it has happened when you want to furl the sail in a hurry. You can prevent it happening by always keeping some tension on the furling line.

fireball

Visit site
Got the Facnor SD100 furler for the genoa on a Sun Oddy 30 - no problems so far - and fairly easy to remove and add lubricant at the end of the season ...
Mines in the garage right now!

AndrewB

Visit site
Got one two years ago (SD200) following strong recommendations on this forum. It doesn't look quite as robust as some other makes, but has a good reputation for never tangling. It is important to install it the right way round to ensure the line is lead out through one of the guides - I got it wrong first time. Otherwise, mine's worked perfectly so far.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
I have had one on my Centaur for almost five years. Totally satisfied with it. Old Genoa was altered so that I could use the second luff groove if sailing downwind for a long distance.
Points to remember are:
1) Do not over-tighten the halliard. The few little creases that you leave along the luff will quickly fill out when you are sailing.
2) Make sure that the lead of the reefing line from the guide (at the drum) to the first guide at the side of the boat is straight in line, at 90 degrees, with the axis of the drum. If too low it will cause the line to bunch up. To give you an idea, mine is fitted to the first stanchion, just below the lower lifeline.
Fair Winds!

chops_uk

www.varne.co.uk
I've just removed a facnor mainsail furler from from an 8.5m boat (i decided to put it back to 'original') so it should fit your 8m cat without needing any more parts. I'm willing to sell if you're interested.
It came with the boat and I've not used it, i'd estimate it's a few years old (5+?). It seems to be the same as is offered on the facnor website and has an aluminium finish.