Experienced yachtsman denied entrance to Greece

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
He turned up with two expired licenses, insurance that doesn't include the Greek Liability Certificate (which GJW supplied as part of my policy documentation as this is a well known problem) and he seems to think residency in Malta will allow him to ignore the Schengen 90/180 rules. Pretty pi$$ poor research and planning for someone who has been cruising for so long.

My thoughts exactly.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Unless something has changed the Yachtmaster doesn't expire, it's only the commercial endorsement which does. He should of course have an ICC on the strength of it, as others have said.
In the video he did say "Yachtmaster" but it wasn't an RYA Yachtmaster, it's an "IYT/MCA Master of Yachts" for commercial yachts up to 200 tons - which had expired. He also had an expired US Coastguard Licence .... in the follow up video, IYT issued an ICC so the licensing problem was solved.

Visit site
Not necessarily, it depends on your means of travel.

As a rule a passport stamp is essential when leaving or entering Schengen as it is the best form of proof that the 90/180 rule hasn't been broken.

A stamp is normally automatic if you enter and exit through an airport, ferry terminal or Eurostar where a person with a stamp inspects your passport, but it is obviously possible to sail your own boat in and out of Schengen under the radar with no stamps - it is the responsibility of the skipper to inform the relevant authorities of arrival and departure and request passport stamps.

My UK passport was checked and found to have a missing entry stamp on my way back to the UK via Munich Airport, fortunately I have dual UK/German citizenship so it didn't matter - the point being they checked every page of my UK passport for entry/exit stamps.
If you have German citizenship why do you need a passport ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Off cause the other side to this is Greece is probably the most cruising site wrote about on the Med with thousand of posting in just Medsailing ,
and most would have told them what they going to need to satisfy the PP in most cases .

billskip

Visit site
I'm wondering if his baby, born in Malta, has a Schengen passport?
Possible but not necessarily so. Depends on Malta regs.
Babies born in Spain to forign residence dont automatically get Spanish nationality as far as I understand. I can only go by a situation where a Venezuelan with temp residence, is living on Tenerife with a German and they have just had a baby and they have been told the baby has to live in Spain uninterrupted for 7 years to be nationalised.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
I'm wondering if his baby, born in Malta, has a Schengen passport?

Unlikely, as I understand it, Maltese nationality is aquired at birth by decent (at least one parent is a Maltese national).

Malta citizenship by birth can be obtained by persons with at least one Maltese parent. The place of birth is unimportant: the person can be born both in and outside Malta and still get a Maltese passport. This rule was stated in the Maltese Citizenship Act (Chapter 188), published in 1965.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Possible but not necessarily so. Depends on Malta regs.
Babies born in Spain to forign residence dont automatically get Spanish nationality as far as I understand. I can only go by a situation where a Venezuelan with temp residence, is living on Tenerife with a German and they have just had a baby and they have been told the baby has to live in Spain uninterrupted for 7 years to be nationalised.

:eek:

Visit site
Off cause the other side to this is Greece is probably the most cruising site wrote about on the Med with thousand of posting in just Medsailing ,
and most would have told them what they going to need to satisfy the PP in most cases .
Why do you assume that all Med. yachties are literate ?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Why do you assume that all Med. yachties are literate ?
Not assume anything , but if you read the Med sailing site you see there thousands of info from people who in Greece and been in Greece for many years who could write chapter and verse on what required, unlike posting here where there only a few who are on the spot and know the rules and loopholes the rest just guess or goggle stuff up .