Experience of Raymarine Axiom after upgrading from C series?

Ostara24

Visit site
My c90wide is ripe for an upgrade, looking at the Axiom Plus 9, has anyone gone down this route? And if so any comments?

I did here that some touchscreens were locking up which is not good?

The c90w is a great workhorse, I am a little wary of modern day “improvements” being not all they are meant to be, just more flash and apps!

Thanks in advance.

Boathook

Visit site
I seem to remember a thread, maybe on the mobo section where the opinion was that garmin is better from the product point of view and manufacture support.

My Raymarine eS9, the touch screen has failed after 8 years, but luckily it was a hybrid so now getting used to using just the 'knobs'.

jwilson

Visit site
I have an Axiom7+, pretty happy with it on the whole, and better than the C70 I had some time before. Certainly much brighter: the old C70 was effectively invisible in sunlight. I actually prefered the older buttons, but touch screen on the Axiom works OK. Some have reported GPS problems with Axioms, but I have not had any trace of this.

I have had two Garmins, one died after 2 years from new with water ingress, it was out of 12 month warranty but replaced at a discount by another which again failed with water inside after just under 2 years. By then Garmin said ".... obsolete product not supported". Not impressed wih their manufacturer support.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have an Axiom7+, pretty happy with it on the whole, and better than the C70 I had some time before. Certainly much brighter: the old C70 was effectively invisible in sunlight. I actually prefered the older buttons, but touch screen on the Axiom works OK. Some have reported GPS problems with Axioms, but I have not had any trace of this.

I have had two Garmins, one died after 2 years from new with water ingress, it was out of 12 month warranty but replaced at a discount by another which again failed with water inside after just under 2 years. By then Garmin said ".... obsolete product not supported". Not impressed wih their manufacturer support.
Raymarine make displays that are not even hermetically sealed, they condensate on the inside and Raymarine won't replace them if they are just out of warranty, it's a new one at full price.

Just had an out of warranty £2,000 plus Garmin plotter replaced for £400. They just replaced an out of warranty depth transducer that cost £400 FOC.

I have always had good support from Garmin, Raymarine have always been poor in my experience. I deal with a LOT of electronics !

jwilson

Visit site
Not on MFDs, but with instruments, neither am I much impressed with Raymarine support. They have always offered me a discount on RRP on a replacement newer product that is not that much different from buying a new one from a discount retailer, but with a shorter warranty than buying a brand new one. The kit itself though, seems mostly to work reasonably well for a tolerable length of time.

I do object to two Garmin plotters lasting less than 2 years, also two new Simrad (B&G Vulcan labelled) plotters with similar lifespans. My boat has two plotters hence the turnover of the external ones!

Maybe PaulR gets better service from Garmin than I did ...... My two Garmin plotters did not just have condensation, by then both were out of their year's warranty and on opening I got about an egg-cupfull of water out of each. They were panel mounted externally, with a good seal to the panel, and I'm sure the water got in from the screen/case interface.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
My c90wide is ripe for an upgrade, looking at the Axiom Plus 9, has anyone gone down this route? And if so any comments?

I did here that some touchscreens were locking up which is not good?

The c90w is a great workhorse, I am a little wary of modern day “improvements” being not all they are meant to be, just more flash and apps!

Thanks in advance.

Axiom+ 12
Working well but just over a year old. Initially a bit of a faff trying to understand how to update software and charts, but got there in the end. I update either via phone connected to Axiom, via cellular network, or by taking SD card home. Rarely use marina wifi as it is to slow, unstable.
I keep the plotter under the cockpit hood, hence it is very sheltered, unlike a pedestal mounted unit. I also disconnect and store in a saloon locker when not onboard, very fast and easy to do.
I have Raymarine ST60 instruments and ACU400 autohelm, easily networked.

So far, I am happy with it. Easy install, fairy intuitive to use, but it does have some awkward, unintuitive functions. I use Lighthouse charts and have been unable to fathom out how to install Reeds Almanac, which comes with the premium subscription. Also have downloaded satellite images but cant workout how to use them on the plotter.

Tidal height and flow is reasonable to use, graphs and arrows are okay, MOB function can use a drift mode based on tide and wind, but don't know how good that is in real life.

Raymarine email help desk have been useful and solved all issues but not exactly the fastest service in the world.

I have read on here about issues with software, charts and screens, but I have not experienced any issues after software or chart updates.

So far, I would buy Raymarine again, but, I am beginning to think that plotter software, running on a PC or laptop, would be a better and lower cost solution, especially as a cruising yachtsman where integration is not needed for optimisation.

My back up plotter, lowest cost iPad and Memory Maps, is a fraction of the cost of the Axiom+. I don't use laylines, taking angles, wind overlays or even waypoints (to a significant degree). I have a Monitor self steering windvane and My ACU400 autohelm works fine as a stand alone unit. It would be fair to say that most of the integrated features I just don't use, nor feel a need to use them.

I will be buying AIS this year, so that may be good integration but as I still have to keep a watch for non AIS stuff, again, not sure if it is a need or want. Radar will come later.

All the best.

Boathook

Visit site
I will be buying AIS this year, so that may be good integration but as I still have to keep a watch for non AIS stuff, again, not sure if it is a need or want. Radar will come later.
I've got raymarine ais as it shows on the plotter. Been helpful when crossing the channel.

Last year was out in Poole bay and went into a fog bank. I ended up using both ais and radar. Gave a lot more faith in the radar being able to see all the ais targets plus all those without ais.
Only problem is that my radar is seperate from the plotter (and incompatible) so I was having to look at 2 screens.

Irish Rover

Visit site
My relatively recently acquired 2018 boat has an Axiom 9 and an Axiom 7 - they're not + and i think are from 2018. As I've been reporting in the last few days on another thread both of them are frequently experiencing long delays getting a GPS fix. Also the touch screens are difficult to power up with wet or sweaty fingers - 38⁰C where I am today so sweaty hands unavoidable.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

All the best.
Don't buy a Raymarine AIS. They don't make them, they buy them in from SRT, the parent company of Emtrak, and charge silly money for them.

Irish Rover

Visit site
My Yanmar engines give LPH fuel consumption which is also displayed on my Axiom 9 and Axiom 7. The Axioms also show a litre per nautical mile reading which is a simple enough deduction from speed and LPH x 2. Simple but the Axioms show double the actual total per mile. I played with the settings for ages and then resorted to asking on a Leopard power cat facebook group. A guy in the US reported back that he'd contacted Raymarine many times and they accept it's a problem with their software and, so far, are unable or unwilling to correct it. It's Facebook, so make of it what you will.

Ostara24

Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses, they all help with my decision.

I do like Raymarine, as I have had zero problems with any product I have bought from them.

RunAgroundHard, mentioned that they kept the st60 instruments when updating to Axiom, was this an easy set up or did you need some sort of adapter to go from st60’s into STNG/nmea2000?

I use Garmin in my “other” life as a long distance runner (purely recreational), in the form of a runners watch/heart beat/pace device, it works well too, but something in my mind stops me from being able to see garmin at use on my boat! I need to check my priors I suppose! LOL😀.

As a single hander I do like the full integration of the autopilot and MFD when navigating in coastal waters, in the ocean the windvane takes over.

jlavery

Visit site
I've had an Axiom 12+ for 3 years now, running Lighthouse charts, networked with all Raymarine kit, including Raymarine Quantum radar.

Chart refresh speed has improved with recent updates.

Anchor alarm is integrated with an overcomplicated and unrealistic "anchoring wizard" and is, I think, virtually useless.

Has very occasionally rebooted/crashed - luckily not at a critical moment.

Apple app for ipads integrates well. Android app is completely useless.

Overall, pleased with it, notwithstanding above quirks.

I take the points made by others regarding Raymarine support - my experience with them has been "patchy".

jlavery

Visit site
RunAgroundHard, mentioned that they kept the st60 instruments when updating to Axiom, was this an easy set up or did you need some sort of adapter to go from st60’s into STNG/nmea2000?
Yes, I think you will need a converter - Raymarine have one (and there are 3rd party ones).

I've got one to interface with my older Raymarine autohelm.

Note that the Axiom will only allow control of newer (Evolution??) Raymarine autohelms from the MFD. I can't control mine from the Axiom. I do get rudder angle and heading (from the autohelm fluxgate compass) though.

So you may need to check carefully what integration is available via the converter and your ST60s.

jlavery

Visit site
Forgot to say:

Axiom is mounted down below (so hopefully not prone to leaking problems some have reported).

Also uses external GPS antenna - so I have no experience of how good the internal antenna is (other threads allude to GPS signal acquisition problems).

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses, they all help with my decision.

I do like Raymarine, as I have had zero problems with any product I have bought from them.

I use Garmin in my “other” life as a long distance runner (purely recreational), in the form of a runners watch/heart beat/pace device, it works well too, but something in my mind stops me from being able to see garmin at use on my boat! I need to check my priors I suppose! LOL😀.

As a single hander I do like the full integration of the autopilot and MFD when navigating in coastal waters, in the ocean the windvane takes over.
You need the Raymarine Seatalk to STNG converter to integrate your ST60s with an Axiom. It's actually sensibly priced and works very well.

Your autopilot will not fully integrate with the Axiom, in as much as you cannot control the AP from the plotter screen. You can select a waypoint or route from the plotter, then engage the AP from its own controller and it will steer to the waypoint or follow the route.

Ostara24

Visit site
I currently have the spx30 pilot, fitted in 2010, with st60’s.

Overall the system has worked well, I have no complaints really, but I have an opportunity to upgrade at the moment, so looking for input from current users of the new generation stuff after upgrading from older set ups…

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I currently have the spx30 pilot, fitted in 2010, with st60’s.

Overall the system has worked well, I have no complaints really, but I have an opportunity to upgrade at the moment, so looking for input from current users of the new generation stuff after upgrading from older set ups…
If that's fitted to a mechanical or hydraulic drive, (not a wheel drive (it shouldn't be)), you can keep the drive unit and replace the electronic core pack. The would apply regardless of the make of core pack, but the plotter and core pack must be the same make to fully integrate.

You can fit the Raymarine Seatalk to STNG converter to integrate the ST60's, which will put the wind, depth etc on the network. This would also apply regardless of the make of plotter etc. This will leave you with one spare STNG port but no NMEA 2000 ports.

If you choose Raymarine, the autopilot will extend the STNG network from the converter. You will need a converter cable to connect the Axiom to the STNG network, because Raymarine use a mix of STNG and N2K. Or you can use a STNG backboce to N2K backbone converter cable and fit a tee and a single converter, this costs an extra £30 ish, but give you a split network of STNG and N2K, making it more future proof.

If you choose Garmin, the autopilot and plotter will go on a N2K network, with a STNG backboce to N2K backbone converter cable to connect it all the STNG converter. Personally, this would be my choice. You get much better support and you get away from the ludicrously priced Raymarine cables, because Garmin use N2K compliant cables and fittings throughout.