Exhaust elbows

oldgit

Visit site
Originally the only source of replacement risers was genuine either Volvo Penta or some very similarly priced items from aftermarket importers.
Recall the genuine VP unit costing around £250+ .
Have since seen aftermarket market versions advertised in the past on ebay at £100.00.
Having purchased both , to the casual observer there appeared to be no obvious difference in weight or quality of construction.
Unless the metals used ie. the external cast iron casing and the internal stainless sleeve were of a lower quality.
Harbour a suspicion originally most were sourced from some foundry in China ?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Blockage was never a problem with BUKH DV10 elbows.

The bloody things cracked before they had time to become blocked! :mad:

Lucky Bukh parts are so cheap. ;)

Recall the genuine VP unit costing around £250+ .

Think yourself lucky, the Bukh elbow for my DV36 is £675. :oops:

I daren't check my elbow, in case it needs replacing!

oldgit

Visit site
Generally now regarded in the MoBo world more as a service item that should really be replaced every few years.
Most of the grief is getting the old riser off( bad enough with nil access to bolt heads + nut corrosion) and then virtually impossible to remove old internal scale.
Normally they fall to bits on removal , makes more economic sense simply change.

Plum

Visit site
Yes I was told as the engine had to be moved for saildrive seal change wise to replace elbow at same time . It seems they have a short life at least from Volvo.
There appears to be a wide variability on how long they last. Changed my VP elbow at 20 years 1500hrs. The casting was still good and sound but replaced as it was getting difficult to clean the deposits from the cavity.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited:

neil_s

Visit site
This is the home-made exhaust bend off my Bukh DV20. The hole appeared as I was trying to shift the carbon build up. Notice that the hole is on the exhaust side, before the water injection point. It lasted 13 years.

Attachments

• DSCN1337.JPG
    DSCN1337.JPG
    953.7 KB · Views: 12