Excessive voltage (16v) at switch panel.

fredrussell

Visit site
Here’s a strange one. Engine off. Boat plugged into shore power. Battery on “storage” at 13.3v (Victron charger) tested with multimeter. Tested voltage at nav light switch panel (same multimeter) and getting 15 to 16 volts. With the charger switched off voltage at switch panel drops to 14.3v despite voltage at battery being 13v.

Discovered this whilst trying to work out why masthead tricolour and anchor lights not working. Am I right to assume excessive voltage has blown the (incandescent) bulbs?

Any idea where this excess voltage is coming from? I’m baffled.

Last edited:

penberth3

Visit site
Here’s a strange one. Engine off. Boat plugged into shore power. Battery on “storage” at 13.3v (Victron charger) tested with multimeter. Tested voltage at nav light switch panel (same multimeter) and getting 15 to 16 volts. With the charger switched off voltage at switch panel drops to 14.3v despite voltage at battery being 13v.

Discovered this whilst trying to work out why masthead tricolour and anchor lights not working. Am I right to assume excessive voltage has blown the (incandescent) bulbs?

Any idea where this excess voltage is coming from? I’m baffled.

I don't think a 12V lamp would blow. It might if it was running at 15/16V for a long time, or if it's had higher voltages than you've measured.

fredrussell

Visit site
Is the multimeter confirmed reliable? Tested a different meter?
I was just about to amend my opening post but you beat me to it. Used another multimeter and voltage is now correct. First multimeter was reading incorrectly.

Nowt to see here folks! Cheers for replies. I’ll get up the mast and check bulbs, need to replace them with LED anyway.

William_H

Visit site
Just to explain A multimeter has a voltage reference type diode which sets a reference voltage perhaps around 6v. (not sure) anyway as battery gets low in voltage it can not maintain the reference voltage at correct level. So low reference voltage makes tested voltage look bigger when compared. Even though stille nough battery power to operate screen. ol'will