EXCALIBUR 36

G

ANY ONE NO ANY THING ABOUT THESE BOATS AS I AM PLANING MY ESCAPE ON ONE

Visit site
A very serious and solid design except for one critical point. The Excalibur has a spade rudder and lacks directional stability downwind in large seas.

There is a lengthy and useful write up on a transatlantic voyage by an Excalibur 36 owner at http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/6076/avahome.htm

Hint: When reading the text at that site, highlight the text with your cursor to mask out the annoying background image.

markhankey

Visit site
Hi

Also planning my escape on one. Currently refitting on the South coast with a view to heading
off next year. Mine is called Camelaird and was built in 1965. They are very, very strong and
have a very good sea keeping reputation. As you are aware accomodation is not "modern" but
very seaworthy. Be warned however that they are old boats and as a result will require a fairly
rigerous ongoing maintenance programme.

The info on the rudder is correct and Avalon of Arne (the one on Geocities) lost her's (worth a
read). In summary a good sized boat with an excellent reputation. If you want to know more
please feel free to ask any questions (be warned however I may not have the answers !)

Best of luck

Mark

Visit site
> Mine is called Camelaird and was built in 1965

So you bought her! I phoned the owner 2 weeks ago because Camelaird seems to be for sail still at one online brokerage.

Are you keeping the tan sails, they look good?

Do you plan to remake the rudder?

Avalon

phaon.dnsdojo.net
Hi

I'm the one resposible for the Avalon Website. I've owned the boat for some 12 years now and sailed across to the Caribbean in 95. Am very happy with her. If you have any questions not answered on the website, do get in touch. Which one are you thinking of buying/have you bought?

Phaon Reid, S/Y Avalon of Arne
www.sailingontheweb.com

Visit site
The Excalibur 36 design is on my shopping list at present. Having read your web travel log I have 2 questions:

1 - Has the spade rudder been trouble free since the complete rebuild?

2 - Is the directional control downwind demanding fullstop or merely not as good as a 100% offshore design with a skeg or full length keel?

Avalon

phaon.dnsdojo.net
Hi Jonjo

In answer to your questions:

The rudder has been completely trouble free since the rebuild. I have met a number of other Excalibur owners and am not aware that anyone else has had similar problems.

While not as directionally stable as a long-keeled boat the Excalibur is IMHO far less twitchy and more controllable downwind than most of the modern high-volume boats I've been on. This is probably because of the long fin keel. The Aries copes perfectly in almost all conditions. She is also far lighter on the helm than the long keeled boats I have sailed due to the balanced rudder.

On the plus side, the boat has excellent close-quarters manoeuverability. Not the most important thing for long-distance cruisng, but nice to have.

Hope this helps....

Phaon Reid, S/Y Avalon of Arne
www.sailingontheweb.com

Mad Pad

Visit site
Great yachts,RORC yacht of the year 2 years running.
I sailed one extensively in the late 60,s early 70's,about 50 made from memory.
You should be able to pick up a good'un for about £25k.
Not the same space as a modern 36 footer but they look like yachts,not floating caravans.If you are just 2 up would be ideal for world cruising..we raced offshore with 6 and that was cramped!
PM me if I can be of any more help.
Mad Pad

DueEast

Visit site
Hi
I bought the "Camelaird of Kent" two months ago. Really looking forward to saling here this summer.
While here a little advuce is needed. I am considering a spray hood for her, any one recommend any one who may have manufacturered a frame for a spray hood and still have the dimensions to make a new one?

I have been quoted 2k to make a frame, canvas it and fit... so though I would love a new hood, that is a lot, so it won't be happening at that kind of money!

Any advice is much appreciated.