Re-engining a Birchwood 33

Parabordi

Visit site
I'm thinking of buying an older GRP boat, mainly for inland waterways or short costal trips, but capable of crossing North Sea - I'm based in the Walton Backwaters, NE Essex. Considered Profile 33's, Seamaster 30's but it's a Birchwood 33 that's caught my eye. I can see there's plenty of different styles/layouts, but one constant in the boats for sale is they haven't been re-engined. They still have the original six cylinder Ford Lehmans, Bedfords etc, twin 120 - 200hp. Whilst these engines would be infinitely repairable I would be worried about reliability. I wouldn't be looking for semi-planing qualities but nevertheless ability to cope with strong tides/currents. For the size and weight of one these would their be an issues replacing with twin 43hp Betas or similar?
There is a Solar 32 for sale at Bray Marina, owned by a very good friend who visited Holland many times in it.
CARR AND WEST SOLAR 32 1975

Wavey

Visit site
Just be aware some Birchwood 33s were sold as bare shells or sail aways for home completion so very careful inspection is recommended. They can also give an uncomfortable ride at sea. There are better options out there as suggested above.

Wavey

Visit site
There is a Solar 32 for sale at Bray Marina, owned by a very good friend who visited Holland many times in it.
CARR AND WEST SOLAR 32 1975
After all these years Dandy Regent still carries her original name 👍. My dad knew the first owner and she did many trips across to Europe. Certainly in the years he owned her she was maintained with no expense spared and was always immaculate.

Restoration man

Visit site
you mentioned about looking
At birchwood 33 for 42k thats mental 🤯, 25 k prob about tops these days maybe 30k if everything and I mean everything had been replaced , we had a stretched version only few made s35 looks like 33 just bit longer and drive from outside like Nelson , ours had Ford 150 turbos and we could do 18k

PaulRainbow

Visit site
I have to agree, £42k for a Birchwood 33 is far too much. Lots of better boats out there for less. £42k will buy something much, much better.

ianc1200

Visit site
It was really about putting in a cheeky offer (say 30k because it is really well presented) but from earlier in the thread they are not keen sellers. There's another at Brighton Marina for a lot less, looks OK but has "Iveco 814's" - 6 cylinder 120hp. Can't find anything about those engines, suspect perhaps really Fiat Aifo but still the 814 doesn't show up anything. Spent time trying to reconcile the images but got nowhere. Another nice one on Worcester had 6 cylinder Bedfords - somebody has warned re spares availability for those.

oldgit

Visit site
On optimistic pricing, rumours that an offer of 37K on a Broom 37 was rejected outright.
Those ancient counter rotating Perkins frequently installed, are now well past their sink by date, howwver one aftermarket company ,Lancing Marine, is still helping them to keep going.

ianc1200

Visit site
For nearly the same money as the Portishead Birchwood GT... you could have a Broom Crown 37.

Here is one near you Broom Crown 37 For Sale | Norfolk Yacht Agency | NYB138655

They also have a Broom Continental 37 for £29k

But both boats have the original Perkins HTs, laid on their side, contra rotating engines with spares difficult and in some cases impossible to get. But apparently, the Broom owners association can help out on spares. There is plenty of info in the forum about these.

That was a good call. A friend has a Crown with Volvo's, now comparing them and Birchwood TS 37's. The Broom doesn't have a separate dinette but a really good shower compartment, older Volvo's but looks such a better build quality. The also seem to have varying air drafts which is important to us - some quote over 12', some under 11'. The NYA site is excellent for checking such details on boats previously sold. The aft cabin TS 37's have newer Volvo's (but also BMW's and Mercruisers), for us a really good layout, OK air draft for north to south central French canals, but not Broom's build quality. Decisions, decisions.

Elessar

Visit site
I'm thinking of buying an older GRP boat, mainly for inland waterways or short costal trips, but capable of crossing North Sea - I'm based in the Walton Backwaters, NE Essex. Considered Profile 33's, Seamaster 30's but it's a Birchwood 33 that's caught my eye. I can see there's plenty of different styles/layouts, but one constant in the boats for sale is they haven't been re-engined. They still have the original six cylinder Ford Lehmans, Bedfords etc, twin 120 - 200hp. Whilst these engines would be infinitely repairable I would be worried about reliability. I wouldn't be looking for semi-planing qualities but nevertheless ability to cope with strong tides/currents. For the size and weight of one these would their be an issues replacing with twin 43hp Betas or similar?
If you can accept a displacement boat I’d turn it into a single.
Or see if a single D6 would fit. That would plane.
Single engine for me all day long at this size of boat.