excaliber 36

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Yes - we cruise in company with one every year. I also know of another family with one.

The one we know has 4 transatlantics under her belt already. What do you want to know? I am sure her owner would be happy to talk about his boat (he is a Naval architect and used to own a boat bulding company himself)

PM me and I will let you have some telephone numbers if you want.

Stemar

Visit site
A serious beauty.

I met a guy with one once. He'd just come back from a UK - Caribbean - New York - UK circuit and reckoned the boat would be hard to better for blue water. Small inside compared with AWBs of the same size, though.

Visit site
There is something about a classic 2 cabin layout sitting into a 36' hull that seems eternally just about right. No wonder the Rustler 36 is such a respected modern example of this formula.

I looked over a £25k Excalibur in Plymouth about 4 years ago and it was a depressing restoration proposition. You need to be wary on these forums about posts from people who write endearingly about a wonderful sail they had on a classic design but neglect to mention this was in 1975.

The fixed roof entrance drove me mad within 2 hours, if I did own an example I would fit a compact modern engine that would allow a big 1st step downwards at the companionway.

Gin

Visit site
I used to sail one of these Van der Stadt boats back in the 70's.

They are built like a brick s***house, the grp lay up is phenomenal, super accommodation and stowage and safe as houses. Gear was a bit dated of course.

This is a boat that will take you anywhere you want at a respectable speed and in some comfort. It may be a challenge to find one that has been maintained well and is available

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Interested in a few comments that have been made, here are a few from my friend.

Positives: Sea keeping qualities, original build quality. The hull is a good design and it sails well. Looks after you and its a proven round the world boat. (I don't believe that the companionway design is necessarily a negative - you either like it or not.) Keel is lead and encapsulated within the GRP structure.

Negatives: Difficult to find a good example, although the price of them reflects this, where else will you find a 36 foot ocean going boat for £25k? Accommodation is traditional. You go down into the boat and its small inside compared to many 36 footers. You will probably have to re-engine if it hasn't been done already.

Problems that our friends have had: Re-engine, a Beta 25 hp was yard fitted at great expense. The water tanks built into the keel were difficult to clean out. After all the miles they replaced the mast and boom- quite expensive! Lots of maintenance on an old boat to get her back up to a good standard,

By the way the build yard had a love affair with mahogany - you won't find much teak on the boat.

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
As most postings have said, well built, fantastic lay-up but my own personal expereinece was one of the wettest boats I have sailed in. This one didnt have a sprayhood which accounts for most of it but didnt like the expereince at all. The one I sailed was actually called Excaliber and I think won something or other in the Fastnet back in 63/64. May have been number 1 or 2 in the build. Cheap for what you get.