Dutch sailing boat owners

Shearwater1

Visit site
I am looking to buy a twin keel sailing boat, and would prefer to buy in Holland as boats tend to be cheaper there as do moorings and all other marine services. I wanted to put out a request for any info on a bilge keel boat that might be for sale on a dutch sailing forum, I'm sure that there are some but I just can't find them. Anyone got any ideas / links? TIA

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
You may know about all this, so apologies if you do.

Where do you live? Where are you intending to keep the boat?

EU, EU OK
EU, UK OK with restrictions
UK, EU OK
UK, UK Virtually impossible to do

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Don't think you will find many twin keel sailing boats in Holland - they are almost a peculiarly British thing. Boats in general may appear cheaper in Holland than the UK but only if you are buying for use there or in other parts of the EU. Twin Keel boats are almost all over 30 years old and therefore relatively low value, but prices vary enormously depending on condition and location.

ylop

Visit site
Don't think you will find many twin keel sailing boats in Holland - they are almost a peculiarly British thing. Boats in general may appear cheaper in Holland than the UK but only if you are buying for use there or in other parts of the EU. Twin Keel boats are almost all over 30 years old and therefore relatively low value, but prices vary enormously depending on condition and location.
Your point may be broadly true but Sirius will happily make you a Twin Keel boat (targeted at a wider audience than the uk) that is very much not low value! I'd have thought that the conditions which make twin keels appeal to E of England users in particular also applied to N of Netherlands users with shallow water, drying out etc?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Your point may be broadly true but Sirius will happily make you a Twin Keel boat
As will Django, Pogo & RM for starters, so they are manufactured more widely than Tranona might suggest. I take his point about Holland, as I suspect that the Dutch market comprises more conventional sailors. French do make twin keeled boats ( Although one would have to be a bit kinky to buy one) & there is nothing to stop one sailing it to Holland.

Tranona

Visit site
Your point may be broadly true but Sirius will happily make you a Twin Keel boat (targeted at a wider audience than the uk) that is very much not low value! I'd have thought that the conditions which make twin keels appeal to E of England users in particular also applied to N of Netherlands users with shallow water, drying out etc?
Don't recall any production Dutch boat builders doing twin keels, although in period Holland was quite a strong market for UK builders so no doubt there are a few, Westerlys etc still around - I know of at least 4 bilge keel Golden Hinds like mine there! Suspect the number of twin keel Sirius built is very low. There are however many different twin keel boats built in small numbers in France but they are not really sold outside the country.

The big appeal of bilge keels here in the 1960s was the shortage of deep water moorings meaning half tide moorings were the norm. The actual drying out bit (and shallow draft) while cruising was not so important. Hunter/Legend tried to bring them back in the early 2000s but failed to make any impression, but no doubt other factors limited their appeal.

ylop

Visit site
Suspect the number of twin keel Sirius built is very low.
Well the total number of boats they build is not high in the first place - but I seem to recall Torstein saying in an interview that the twin keel was their most popular.

SvenH

Visit site
I do not quite understand the question but I am sure twin keels are available for sale here.
Are you looking for a specific boat that you know is for sale but cannot find its advert?

Or are you looking for adverts for twin keeled boats in general, for sale in NL?

Shearwater1

Visit site
I do not quite understand the question but I am sure twin keels are available for sale here.
Are you looking for a specific boat that you know is for sale but cannot find its advert?

Or are you looking for adverts for twin keeled boats in general, for sale in NL?
Hello, thanks for the reply.....No specific boat, just something that can take the ground between tides and remain level

Shearwater1

Visit site
Don't recall any production Dutch boat builders doing twin keels, although in period Holland was quite a strong market for UK builders so no doubt there are a few, Westerlys etc still around - I know of at least 4 bilge keel Golden Hinds like mine there! Suspect the number of twin keel Sirius built is very low. There are however many different twin keel boats built in small numbers in France but they are not really sold outside the country.

The big appeal of bilge keels here in the 1960s was the shortage of deep water moorings meaning half tide moorings were the norm. The actual drying out bit (and shallow draft) while cruising was not so important. Hunter/Legend tried to bring them back in the early 2000s but failed to make any impression, but no doubt other factors limited their appeal.

Shearwater1

Visit site
I think you're right, they were / are a particularly British thing, especially on the east coast where the tidal ranges are enormous and it's here that they really come into their own. There's plenty of UK built boats on sale in the Netherlands, not surprising given the proximity of the respective coasts, so I was hoping to chance upon one of these. I bought my last boat in Holland, a Van de Stadt and it was considerably cheaper than it would have been here in Britain

Shearwater1

Visit site
Sounds good, sadly I'm not in the market for a new boat

Shearwater1

Visit site

Yes, twin keels in general, 8-10 metres, budget of no more than £10k. Boats seem significantly cheaper in the Netherlands. I bought my last one, a Van de Stadt over there

ylop

Visit site
Yes, twin keels in general, 8-10 metres, budget of no more than £10k. Boats seem significantly cheaper in the Netherlands. I bought my last one, a Van de Stadt over there
Are you aware of the issues surrounding VAT and UKCA RCD since Brexit? Some people might quietly take a punt on “it will all be fine because nobody is going to ask questions” but they probably wouldn’t shout about it on the internet!

Tranona

Visit site
I think you're right, they were / are a particularly British thing, especially on the east coast where the tidal ranges are enormous and it's here that they really come into their own. There's plenty of UK built boats on sale in the Netherlands, not surprising given the proximity of the respective coasts, so I was hoping to chance upon one of these. I bought my last boat in Holland, a Van de Stadt and it was considerably cheaper than it would have been here in Britain
You may well find one eventually. however it will not necessarily be cheaper nor even practical. When buying the only thing that is important is the cost of getting the boat to where you want it and in the condition you want. The purchase price is only part of that.

As in posts 2 and 13 it is no longer practical or even legally possible to buy a boat in Holland for use in the UK if you are a UK resident. Often in the past certain boats were cheaper in Holland because they were in low demand there or were available in greater numbers - same with Scandinavia but those days have gone, not just the legal constraints but the cost of getting the boat to the UK in relation to the low value.

Plenty of choice of twin keel boats in the UK at all price points.

Shearwater1

Visit site
You may well find one eventually. however it will not necessarily be cheaper nor even practical. When buying the only thing that is important is the cost of getting the boat to where you want it and in the condition you want. The purchase price is only part of that.

As in posts 2 and 13 it is no longer practical or even legally possible to buy a boat in Holland for use in the UK if you are a UK resident. Often in the past certain boats were cheaper in Holland because they were in low demand there or were available in greater numbers - same with Scandinavia but those days have gone, not just the legal constraints but the cost of getting the boat to the UK in relation to the low value.

I bought my last boat in Holland, with no problems,
Are you aware of the issues surrounding VAT and UKCA RCD since Brexit? Some people might quietly take a punt on “it will all be fine because nobody is going to ask questions” but they probably wouldn’t shout about it on the internet!

I considered the VAT post-Brexit, agree that this could be a problem and might need a re-think

Shearwater1

Visit site

thanks, sound advice

Other threads that may be of interest