Evia lift out yards?

dgadee

Visit site
We are anchored in Kea trying to get over to Lesvos but meltemi seems to have started and here for a week at least. The crew not so keen any longer on bumpy sailing. And 90/180 is seriously affecting our planning.

I am wondering about a change of plan and lifting out for summer on west side of Evia, then completing the trip when we can get back to EU-land at the start of October.

Any suggestions for good yards at a good price?

JFowler

Visit site
You have a number of options. They all haul out using a trailer of various design. If you want to lift try the Aegena yards.
My first choice would be either of the 2 yards at Chalkoits, on the mainland just north of Oropos. Of these Boat Club is the best by a long way, but the other yard is fine. 50min by taxi to the airport.

On Evia there are haul out yards at:
Karystos: near the town and very easy bus/ ferry / bus to the airport. No personal experience but looks fine when we visited by land.
Limni: just north of the port. They have accommodation on site which they include in you ‘deal’. Very cheap but well liked. Difficult journey to Athens.
Orei: Dimstef Yard near the port on the north of Evia. Dimitris has a very loyal clientele . Bus/ Ferry / Bus to Athens airport. Allow 3-4 hours, but not difficult. Or fly from Volos- cheap flights to uk. Short ferry/taxi to Volos airport.

None of the yards above are expensive & all essentially diy.

dgadee

Visit site
Thanks for fhe info but we got to Lesvos after all. We went north, through that stupid "only open overnight" bridge and across. I had a price of €640 for lifts and storage for 3 months which was ok.

Very different landscape up north and Lesvos is so much more verdant than the southern Pelopennese.

But the Greek love of a wire fence and steel gate extends, seemingly, to every part of the country.

dgadee

Visit site
Glad you made it. Where do you plan to leave the boat in Lesvos?

Mytilini. 90/180 is a problem so alternate between Greece/Turkey seems like a good idea. I was at a few meetings in Istanbul and thought, at the time, wouldn't it be great to sail here. So that is the plan for 2023.

With the canal closed and going via Evia channel etc.we reckon it was 750 nm from Preveza.