Engineers in portugal

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
My electric windlass is terminally ill - limping along, but may go kaput any day, and I need to replace it. I'm currently sourcing the windlass- any recommendations for someone/somewhere to have it fitted?

I'm currently in Viana do Costelo, heading south.. options - maybe Leixoes , or pref Lisbon (or maybe even Lagos, though ideally don't want to arrive there before lower season prices!).

ta!

carol

Last edited:

TiggerToo

Visit site
My electric windlass is terminally ill - limping along, but may go kaput any day, and I need to replace it. I'm currently sourcing the windlass- any recommendations for someone/somewhere to have it fitted?

I'm currently in Viana do Costelo, heading south.. options - maybe Leixoes , or pref Lisbon (or maybe even Lagos, though ideally don't want to arrive there before lower season prices!).

ta!

carol

what is wrong with it (sorry 4 thread drift!)?

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com
windlass

The piece which holds the pawls is disintegrating (one pawl has gone completely and slot has broken), the motor keeps cutting out, and the control box is playing up, and now one foot switch has broken.... (not all at once). I tried to source a replacement for the piece which holds the pawls last year, but windlass obsolete, and lewmar don't have spares. I had an engineering shop do a temp job, but this is now breaking. I'm getting tired of dismantling it (or getting a man in to do so) to sort out the next problem, and have decided its about time i had a glossy new one! Anchoring v. important to us.

Jeannius

Visit site
Carol... I suggest you contact World Cruising Club. They organise the Yachting Monthly Rally Portugal and have recommendations for all types of work in each port they visit. That includes Leixoes and Cascais, Lisbon.

I'll pm you a contact name, email and skype details.

Toutvabien

Visit site
Portugal

We had really good service from a guy called Jose in Peniche, (whose phone number I cannot find at present as I am in the office). He works on the fishing boats mainly, so his prices were local rather than yachtie. His a machine shop was cracking and he was able to machine a couple of parts for us that were not available locally.

Manuel

N/A
Visit site
Peniche is a very sensible idea (see above post). Fishing harbour, very nice stay, grilled sardine territory. Locals along there very friendly and cooperative. You could go round to Isola Culatra, of course and anchor free (all weather anchorage) and use services at Olahao, there are ferries. Meanwhile most important thing is to make sure you can raise the chain manually, have the bits and know how to do it. I strongly recommend a remote control device for regular serious anchoring. Made a huge difference to our lives, I have the Lofrans radio thingummy branded Mizar you wear round your neck. It is OK, there might be better ones? Always keep a spare battery (high voltage - 12V?) and the right sized screwdriver to change batts, though.

Since having the radio thingummy I have been able to strut around with the thingummy looking important while Manuela sees the chain into the locker. Great! :)

All_at_Sea

Visit site
Carol

We met a nice couple of dutch guys, one of whom is currently staying for two weeks in Lisbon. If it coincidede he would fit it l'm sure, but depends on your arrival time in Lisbon. He is in the Alcantara marina, on Helena, a Amel 52. His name is Baziel. If you want it l can forward his email.

Steve