Engine Starting

Sooty Dog

Visit site
Hi All,

We are hoping to get back on the boat after a two year Covid lay-up.

Is there any advice out there as to starting the engine after two years.

It's a Volvo D1-30. From memory I cant remember if there is a large nut on the crankshaft to manually turn the engine over, or some way of removing the compression.

The fuel was treated for diesel bug. The engine and gearbox oil was renewed. The anti-freeze was renewed. I didn't get round to changing the fuel filter. It would have seen approx 100 hrs of running the previous season. The batteries should be topped up via the solar panels.

Should I be squirting a bit of diesel in the cylinders ? If so, how?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted. Thanks

Cariadco

Visit site
Defiantly, First thing is to Crank the engine by hand, in case there's any water in the cylinders.
Then, ensuring the Sea water Supply is isolated, crank the engine on the starter motor, with the stop pulled.
Then open the water valve and go for a start.

V1701

Visit site
There was another recent thread on this but I can't find it. If it were me I'd do all your usual checks, perhaps (given it's been a couple of years) also ensuring the engine is turning over manually if poss, fill the cooling water strainer and go for it. I don't think you need to be worried or to overthink this. Fingers crossed you're able to get to the boat...(y)

Rappey

Visit site
Do your usual checks - then start it. Take it from there. Two years is nothing for a diesel.
There are engines that have not been run for 20+ years on youtube that get a good battery and they are fired up.

wwalsh

Visit site
Many boats had to change their batteries after covid layup.
Best to take the seawater pump impeller out and inspect and grease it before first start.
One boat 4 years out of use (for other reason not covid) everything was fine except the bow thruster and anchor windlass did not work and apparently the motors had seized on the brushes.

Tranona

Visit site
In the water or out? Probably worth checking the water pump impeller has not stuck, but otherwise just make sure that waater is entering perhaps by priming the water strainer, then press the start button. I recently started a Nanni after 9 year's layup doing just that. Fired first time.