engine power ???

sapper1re

Visit site
Hi I'm retiring in 6 years or so and would like to buy a boat and escape the rat race and cruise down to the continent and round for a good few years , loads of questions to ask , like the idea of a converted Mfv but as I will probably be alone I figure it would be a bit of a handful
So looking at a motorboat with a Grp construction , what would you recommend as a good size engine ?
Cheers

Whitelighter

Visit site
It depends on how big the boat is and what you want to do with it.

If you are sticking to inland waterways then a single engine makes the most sense. You'll be limited to 6-7 knts so even a 75hpmotir is going to push a biggish boat along at that pace.

If you want the above but occasional do a sea passage add 100hp which will allow you a bit more speed.

If you want to get round the coast, simply the faster you want to go the bigger engines you need. All the above assumes something in the 35-40ft range.

Coastal biats in that range are a mix of single and twin engine installations ranging for total HP of 300 up to 700 ish

sapper1re

Visit site
I'm want to leapfrog down the coast hopefully staying where I want for as long as I want , looking at spending around £30,000 not a great deal I know

No Regrets

Visit site
Might be worth going for twin Diesels, in case one fails. Day to day economy is similar, you can run on one engine and then you have a bit more 'go' when you need it!

Shafts. Stick to Shafts ;-)

Divemaster1

Visit site
I WOULD JUST LOVE TO EXCHANGE MONEY WITH YOU, 7X70 = 490, but if we were talking cash lets do it your way!!

LOL... reason I'm not an accountant ..... not reading properly as mind was somewhere else ... we are 21T ... and we do not have anywhere near 1470 HP.... Still think 70 HP per T is high .... had an Apollo 32 with 240 Hp and that was pretty OK .... maxing out at 21 Knot ... all depends on hull shape and speed you want to achieve...

Latestarter1

Visit site
Hi I'm retiring in 6 years or so and would like to buy a boat and escape the rat race and cruise down to the continent and round for a good few years , loads of questions to ask , like the idea of a converted Mfv but as I will probably be alone I figure it would be a bit of a handful
So looking at a motorboat with a Grp construction , what would you recommend as a good size engine ?
Cheers
Weight and W/L length would be helpful.........................

BruceK

Visit site
IMHO If you were planing to live on it solo, 27 foot single engine minimum for ease of solo bearthing and better Marina rates etc in the 9m and less range, but space will be limited. 34 foot would make it a much more attractive option, but the financial step up is quite considerable in marina rates and fuel / maintenance costs. Each however has many pro's and cons.