Engine oil - alternatives to Volvo Penta 15W40 VDS-3

Momac

Visit site

Momac

Visit site
What's wrong with Volvos oil?
Nothing wrong with oil that comes with a VP label on the container.
VP oil costs around £93 for twenty litres while the alternatives are as little as £50 for 25 litres , Shell is around £70 for 20 litres .
Not huge cost in the scheme of things but nevertheless a saved expense providing the alternatives are equal quality.

captain tomas

Visit site
I wonder if we could ask Volvopaul for his thoughts?
My Tamd61a have the last ten years been running on 15W/40 semi synthetic apparently with no ill effects! (Revolution Oil)

Ian MacAulay

Visit site
I done a thread like this a couple of months ago. shell rimula r4x was the favoured and smith and Allen done at a great price and I even found a 10% off code to and think it was £63 delivered

Momac

Visit site
I've not charged you Volvo prices in the past , are you doing your own services from now on ?

Paul
I am just exploring DIY costs on this occasion .
If nothing else I feel I should be more hands on with changing filters.

Momac

Visit site
Ok thought I'd done something wrong , thanks for passing on my number to the F33 behind you , finally got him sorted today .
The owner of the other F33 seems very pleased with the outcome. Sounds like it is now running as it should.

Momac

Visit site
Yes it pulls its max revs but I thing the top speed is down , what do you get from yours flat out?
To be honest have never tried flat out. Cruises comfortably at 23knots at low 3000s rpm. I think it should dojust under 30kts. A4 props are standard. Maybe his props need attention.