Engine Hatch Lift

KDee

Visit site
Back to the Grandezza 31OC today to find the batteries flat. Charger appears to have packed in some weeks ago, as shore power is working fine. Trouble is the engine hatch (whole back end including seats and table) lifter is operated by the trim tab pump, and with no power, no engine access. I have looked everywhere for some kind of alternative access mechanism, but nothing obvious. No help in the operating manual from Finnmaster, nor any response from them or Gibbs their UK dealer. Any ideas please?

Portofino

Visit site
Can you pull the switch and see if you can get 12 v to it ?
Or is there another way in to the bat 12 v circuit from another dash control .......to jury rig a simple charger over night ?

It what happens with cars with flat bats whereby you need power to access , open a boot or door to the bonnet handle.
You find a fuse in the dash to feed 12 v in ...re charge ....could be the cig lighter etc ...there will be a way in .

Phill

Visit site
I’m assuming that your batteries are under the hatch. If so, you could add some cables from the battery going to a female Anderson plug (google it) which could be mounted somewhere accessible. If the problem happens again. Connect a jump pack or other battery via a male Anderson plug to open the hatch.

KDee

Visit site
Can you pull the switch and see if you can get 12 v to it ?
Or is there another way in to the bat 12 v circuit from another dash control .......to jury rig a simple charger over night ?

It what happens with cars with flat bats whereby you need power to access , open a boot or door to the bonnet handle.
You find a fuse in the dash to feed 12 v in ...re charge ....could be the cig lighter etc ...there will be a way in .
Thanks. Sounds feasible...can I run a charger in via one of the 12 volt sockets on the dash? Guess I need to check the wiring diagram to see if there is one on the same battery that feeds the trim pump.

KDee

Visit site
I’m assuming that your batteries are under the hatch. If so, you could add some cables from the battery going to a female Anderson plug (google it) which could be mounted somewhere accessible. If the problem happens again. Connect a jump pack or other battery via a male Anderson plug to open the hatch.
Thanks. I definitely need a fix to prevent this happening again!

Portofino

Visit site
Thanks. Sounds feasible...can I run a charger in via one of the 12 volt sockets on the dash? Guess I need to check the wiring diagram to see if there is one on the same battery that feeds the trim pump.
Yep .
Should all be connected to the house batteries.
Only thing I would say use a trickle charger ( low 3 to 10: amps ) as opposed to a proper full fat charger which may push out excess amps and fry the 12 v socket wires .
Once enough power to the ram and open ......then finish it off with a full fat charger directly clipped to the disconnected bat (s) .

KDee

Visit site
Yep .
Should all be connected to the house batteries.
Only thing I would say use a trickle charger ( low 3 to 10: amps ) as opposed to a proper full fat charger which may push out excess amps and fry the 12 v socket wires .
Once enough power to the ram and open ......then finish it off with a full fat charger directly clipped to the disconnected bat (s) .
OK, got you. I will give that a try when I get back to the boat in a couple of days. Thank you!

PCUK

Visit site
You should be able to lift the hatch manually, enough to release the hatch mechanism and allow it to be fully lifted, otherwise it is a pretty crappy design that is easy to improve once you get it open.

lionelz

Visit site
I have a simular system, I have a cut away in my back seat which has a hole in it which you could hook a system up to pull the latch from the ram arms. For a change I had fore thought a rigged up a bit of cord and have attached it to the ring so that all I have to do is pull on it and it will pull the locking pin out thus freeing it from the electronic rams

Reality61

Visit site
I think that on some of the older grandezza's you could power the lift in an emengency from the 12v cigarette type fittings. The newer Grandezza has two blank terminalswith caps on located in the isolator panel where the fuses are which you connect to lift in an emendency.

Nellywelly

Visit site
Back to the Grandezza 31OC today to find the batteries flat. Charger appears to have packed in some weeks ago, as shore power is working fine. Trouble is the engine hatch (whole back end including seats and table) lifter is operated by the trim tab pump, and with no power, no engine access. I have looked everywhere for some kind of alternative access mechanism, but nothing obvious. No help in the operating manual from Finnmaster, nor any response from them or Gibbs their UK dealer. Any ideas please?
Hi , just been looking for what oil to put in the reservoir on my 31c and I think your the previous owner of Kyria ? If so any idea which oil to use for the lift motor on the engine hatch please 🙏
Ps love the boat

KDee

Visit site
Hatch lifters were replaced by Maiden in (I think) 2021 as old ones were leaking. They run from the VP outdrive trim pump which uses hydraulic steering fluid. Never had an issue with the new lifters, so not needed to top up. It’s a fiddly job, but do not overfill….not sure if there is a level indicator or not. When hatch is up, there is, I think, only around 1cm or so of fluid left in the reservoir. If in doubt, ask Jim at Maiden. Glad you like the boat, we loved her, sadly no time to use anymore.

Nellywelly

Visit site
Hatch lifters were replaced by Maiden in (I think) 2021 as old ones were leaking. They run from the VP outdrive trim pump which uses hydraulic steering fluid. Never had an issue with the new lifters, so not needed to top up. It’s a fiddly job, but do not overfill….not sure if there is a level indicator or not. When hatch is up, there is, I think, only around 1cm or so of fluid left in the reservoir. If in doubt, ask Jim at Maiden. Glad you like the boat, we loved her, sadly no time to use anymore.
Ahhh ok that’s what it must be then as we thought the level was low but that makes sense that fluid is used and very little left when lifted up !
Boat is great, just had it out for a week, had it buffed top to bottom, resealed top, teak done, new aerial and mount, anti foul etc etc
Had done 221 when purchased and now done 272 so making good use of her (kept your log upto date) new carpets ready to go in and new canopy being made in next week or so…absolutely love it ! I may need info from time to time if that’s ok ? Would be greatly appreciated

KDee

Visit site
Delighted to hear you feel the same, she is a great boat! We bought her on Loch Lomond and kept her at Cameron House for a few years before coming back to Windermere. PM me if I can help in the future.