Engine cutting out and hunting at cold start

CaptnPugwash

Visit site
I've been searching for possible solutions or if anyone else has had similar trouble what I'm having.

The trouble has been a gradual increase in cutting out and hunting at cold start since April this year.
We're attempting a round Britain trip on a 28ft sailing boat which has a 2 Cylinder Perkins 102.04 KA 10hp.

I normally use preheat every cold start since I bought the vessel back in 2007.

At first cranking with morse in neutral, the engine fires up and immediately revs up on it's own to maximum revs and then dies down and cuts out.

It won't start again with morse control in neutral, just cranks over, even with morse lever halfway or 3/4 way.
It only starts again with a bit more preheat and morse control at maximum, once fired up it's immediately hunting at high revs. If I bring the morse control back to lower the revs, it wants to cut out.

If I keep the revs on, it hunts for 5 minutes or so until engine is up to temperature, then the hunting gradually goes away and I am able to bring the revs down to idle without cutting out.

If the engine been used on a sailing trip and we anchor up for 5 or 6 hours, it starts up and runs normal because it's still warm.

We've been in Padstow for three weeks now, trying different things to work out the issue.

Here in Padstow, I've installed new injectors, cleaned the injector ports, blew through the fuel pipes, installed new fuel lift pump, changed both prefilter and secondary fuel filters, checked air filter box, checked fuel pipes clips and connections, checked morse linkages, checked continuity on glowplugs, fired up engine from cold on each glowplug seperately, unbolted injector pump and took it to an electro-diesel shop where they checked it and said nothing looks wrong with it, stuck endoscope camera as far as it can go through the injector pump port and saw a return spring connected to the link arm that clips to the fuel rack pin on the injector pump, all seems ok (although I'm unable to see any other springs or cogs due to space restriction).

Bled the fuel system four times.
Oil low on dipstick, but not gaining.
Tried running engine with new fuel hose straight from jerry can with fresh diesel.
Still same hunting and cutting out.

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts if anyone have any.

A couple people think it could be governor issue, maybe a broken spring or sticky fly weights, I don't know.

I feel a bit nervous to strip things further and crack the timing case open, could create more issues maybe.

Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated.

footsoldier

Visit site
Tried running engine with new fuel hose straight from jerry can with fresh diesel.

Did you connect the hose straight to the injector pump? - that is the only valid way of doing that test.

If you did, having completed all those other checks, you are correct that the finger of suspicion must start pointing towards the governor. Hopefully someone will be along soon who is familiar with this engine.

pete

Visit site
Don't know this engine but after all you have done I would check the valve clearances don't know why they would cause the revving up but then at least you could discount them.

CaptnPugwash

Visit site
Did you connect the hose straight to the injector pump? - that is the only valid way of doing that test.

If you did, having completed all those other checks, you are correct that the finger of suspicion must start pointing towards the governor. Hopefully someone will be along soon who is familiar with this engine.
Good point. I attached the hose straight to the fuel lift pump.