Engine alignment and adjustment

saltyrob

Visit site
Hi Folks,

Have fitted a new cutless bearing and checking engine alignment . Do you do the height of engine first and then the horizontal alignment. Have found it tricky to adjust horizontal alignment before and note that the engine mounts are fixed to a plate
with a hole at one end and slot at other through which the bolts go into the engine bed. Should the hole /slots be positioned in a certain orientation to allow horizontal adjustment . Have tried figuring out on paper but would be grateful for any advise.

Many thanks

Rob

Norman_E

Visit site
If the slot is crosswise then all four mounts should have the slot at the same end, that way sideways position of the engine can be adjusted a small amount to get the shaft central. I doubt it matters if the slots are at the front or back. Its actually quite hard to get it all correct as its a matter of engine height plus angle, then of getting it both central and straight. The only way I could check mine was with the boat in the water because on the hard the hull may be slightly strained out of shape by the cradle or props, and then by slackening the four flange bolts and using feeler gauges between the shaft and gearbox flanges. Its easiest to get it right in the vertical plane first, then struggle with the sideways adjustment, which is trickier because there is no screw adjustment and you have to lever the mounts.