Engine Advice

hurley_happy

Visit site
Thinking about replacing my old YSE8 in my Hurley 24/70 (24' - LWL 17'6"" - Dis. 4100lbs)

Any recommendations for the ideal diesel? AND ideal hp? for this size of boat. I would like an emergency hand start option (just in case!).

So far have looked at Yanmars 1GM10 and 2GM20 (is the latter excessive? for this size of boat and is the 10 enough?

Any design faults to be aware of? I've heard of impellor problems in the 1GM10.

How abour some alternative manufacturers to look at, Beta?

All advice appreciated.

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
The Beta BZ482 is a perfect match for tyhe Hurley but does not have a hand start. My Vega previously had a hand start on a Volvo MD6A but i never had to resort to using it in anger though I did practise and ensure I could start it by hand. Have a look at the Beta site or drop me an email as I can supply the Beta at a good price.

Albin Vega "Southern Comfort" V1703

snowleopard

Visit site
yanmars are pretty reliable and don't have the weak spots volvos are notorious for. water pump impeller problems depend on which engine you choose. only the raw water cooled model has hand start and the water pump on those is ok. there is a starter solenoid bug on these engines which is known about elsewhere but uk dealers deny.

the 2gm20 would give you 10 bhp per ton which puts you firmly in motor sailer territory. for an auxiliary the 1gm10 would be plenty.