Emergency Antenna position

Rincewind

Visit site
I have a new antenna for the masthead.
The old one is destined to be the emergency antenna.
Where is the best place?
I was thinking of the pushpit top rail, is that height enough? Is it vulnerable there?
Second option would be on a transom pole which would be handy for a wind charger.?

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have used half an extending sailboard boom. The curve ( part of which I have cut away) takes the wire to a gland on the deck. The pole is a strong aluminium being a boom. It has a good quality anodising. Being extendable I can keep it lower & raise if I want extra range.
It fits to the push pit with 2 "U" bolts set at oppsing angle to each other on the 2 horizontal rails. I use the aerial for my AIS which gives 10 mile range for my mates in their yachts. For a ship it is considerably more 50 miles not being unknown. The fitting in the electric cupboard is the same as my VHF unit so in event of emirgency I can disconect from the ais & connect to the VHF in 10 minutes. In the panic of a dismasting the AIS would be sending a distress signal as I have that facility. Then I can revert to the VHF when I get time. In the interim I also have a hand held.
My Echomax is on the other half of the boom on the other aft quarter
In this pic one can see the black neoprene of the boom & the 2 "U" bolts & the deck gland.
The white tube holds the dan buoy
DSC_0291 (600 x 402).jpg

Last edited:

harvey38

Visit site
Why do you have a new one?

If the old one is being replaced, would you really want to rely on it in the case of an emergency?

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
We have an an emergency antenna that we have deployed once in a time of need ( after a lightning strike). We mounted it on the boom and it worked perfectly well. after use it was tidied away and returned to the cupboard ready for the next time.....

Hoolie

Visit site
When we first installed an AIS I mounted an antenna on the pushpit top rail. It worked fine particularly for commercial shipping. It's now our VHF/AIS spare as the newer AIS transponder uses the masthead antenna through an active splitter.

William_H

Visit site
On my little boat 21ft I have fitted the main VHF antenna to a short pole attached to the pushpit. So base of 17 inch antenna is about 2ft above the push pit. This because I remove the mast each winter and don't want wiring in the mast. The performance seems fine in terms of range. So I would suggest that option. Especially if you use it for AIS. ol'will

Refueler

Visit site
Leave it unfixed so you can decide when really needed ...........

Mine is fixed to Pushpit railo - but that's purely because I used it for my AIS dongle ... now that I have a Plotter with AIS transponder feeding the main masthead antenna ... it will be removed and kept for emergency use.