Ellen Macarthurs book

aod

Visit site
I am just in the throes of reading Macarthurs book and I must say that I wish I hadn't started it.
I think I much prefered the illusions I had to the reality that the book imparts.

I think what she has achieved for herself and achieved for sailing as a whole is stunning, but I am glad I have never worked for/with her because I am sure by now, I would be missing a kidney which would have been sold to fund a new shackle or something.

I am sure she would have won the race but at the end of the day I would be the inconsiquential numpty on the side lines with dirty hands and only one kidney.

I get the impression that in scything a career there are a few people on the side lines with only one kidney!

Perhaps that's the way it is, and the only way it can be, but I am now glad I wasn't part of it.

Visit site
I would imagine the support team are only too happy to be associated with Ellen and the money her fame pulls in.

The type of people attracted to that lifestyle would probably find a 9 to 5 routine more stressful than last minute grp repairs at midnight.

SteveA

Visit site
Re: Talking of missing kidneys

I too am reading her book and can only agree with your comments - she is obviously a very determined character and doesn't appear to have many thoughts for others, including her family.

I guess to be able to do what she has done she needs this but I think it would be a sad World if everyone was like this.

max_power

Visit site
Like yourself, I was left with mixed feeling after reading the book.

I admire her enormously for doing what she wants to do and is obviously a good example to the young. I liked her much better though when she was sailing a Corribbee round the coasts.If she was my daughter I would be more proud of her the than what she is doing now.

She alone states that it is as important to know how to change a hard drive on a computer as it is to change a headsail. Third party routing, electronics and massive back up has turned ocean racing into an endurance only event where the biggest cheque book decides the winner. Millions are spent which could have been channeled into helping many other young people. But she is as good as French now ,so don't expect her to have any thoughts for anyone else. Bit like the English cricketers. Money is all that matters.

mikewilkes

Visit site
I have just finished this book by this incredible young lady and I was scared sh****ess just reading it! I dont know if I will ever put to sea again. Just live on my floating caravan in a harbour in the sun. Best of luck to the young lass in anything she trys.
Mike

Keen_Ed

Visit site
I have to say that I think she is an incredible person, and I have nothing but the deepest admiration for what she has done, including the Vendee, the RdR and the current Jules Verne attempt.

Yes, she is driven. That is who she is, and from my reading of her book, she has been since the age of 4 (or whenever). But she alone sailed the boat in the Vendee and the RdR. A certain amount of money is required to build and equip an Open 60 - getting sponsorship is one of the difficulties associated with these races, but it is definately NOT the case that the largest budget wins. The best sailor won the Vendee: Mich Des (who won his class in the RdR). The best sailor won the monohull division of the RdR - Mike Golding could have taken another spinnaker, but didn't. That was his decision, made on a weight basis. As a result, he didn't win.

The boat is complicated, so if things go wrong, you have to know how to fix them. This included the computers etc. Surely it is more sea(wo)manlike to know how to fix it if you have it on board than just have to wait for the next service agent?

If you look at the crew she has assembled for the Jules Verne attempt, it seems as though the cream of professional yacht racers have enough respect for her to sail with her as skipper. Please give evidence of how "it's all about the money"? I don't see her picture all over the papers as she attends the opening of a paper bag. Rather, she is onto the next challenge.

Were I to have a daughter, who had an all-consuming vocation, and was proving to herself and the world just how good she was at her job, I hope I would be able to support her in every way, rather than complain that she was doing too well.

Are you complaining that she is actually being the best in the world rather than being happy with a second-rate performance, as too many other British sports stars seem to be?

G

Re: Talking of missing kidneys

Give the same book or article to two persons and they will give different descriptions of what they have read - quite apart from any resulting opinions. Having met Ellen on several occasions, not just in a crowd, I believe she is an inspiration and has the whole plot just about right.
Why do the English want to pull down their heroes?
As for the Magic Sailor remark about Mark Turner, it is not understood. He receives attention in the book and today remains a very important part of any current campaign.

aod

Visit site
I wish people would read a post before reacting!

Sadly although you have clearly read the post you miss the point entirely. I never mentioned anything about 'it being all about the money' Also I stressed and actualy said was "I think what she has achieved for herself and achieved for sailing as a whole is stunning" Nor am I (as you state) complaining about her being the best in the world which may or may not be true dependent on circumstances.

For your benefit I will spell out the meaning of my post!

In my view! As in industry, politics the money markets or indeed anywhere else you care to look where there is an element of competition the people who achieve do so at a price. The highest achievers often have some sociopathic behaviours which allow them to achieve without concience and as they blaze a trail of success they leave in their wake a number of casualties. In Ellens case you could be forgiven for considering her parents to be an example of such casualties.

Often I suppose refered to by the term 'single minded determination'

Depending on your values this is either 'an okay thing' or 'not an okay thing'

For me this is not an okay thing, for you the end may justify the means.

I emphasise that I am not criticizing Ellen Macarthurs success indeed she commands my utmost admiration for her steel, but what I am saying is that 'for me' the book destroyed any illusions that I held previously, that Ellen Macarthur broke the mould.

It seems that 'being the best' at something seems to bring out 'being the worst' at something else and thats the paradox!

I said in my post. Perhaps that's the way it is, and the only way it can be, but I am now glad I wasn't part of it.

By way of closure I hope that Ellen Macarthur achieves everything she desires of life because she's the one that has to live with it not me.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by aod on 27/01/2003 18:16 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Re: bugger

Dont bother - its a long way from being a "good read", and is quite repetitive.

doris

Visit site
Quite extraordinary. Everybody in this tread must

march to a completely different drum to myself. I think it is a terrific read and exemplifies why people sail with and try and help her. She is marvellous and generous person in both body and spirit and it is, sadly, only in this country that sugh negative attitudes seem to be all pervasive. I hope you all enjoy wallowing in your mundane little worlds.

max_power

Visit site
Warning ! Rant following........

‘Are you complaining that she is actually being the best in the world rather than being happy with a second-rate performance, as too many other British sports stars seem to be?’

Clearly being the ‘best in the world’, yachting in this case, comes very high up in the scheme of things for you. I respect that . It also meant very much to the former eastern Bloc and Chinese who would go to any lengths, including drugs cheating etc to ‘be the best in the world’. Athletics, cycling, are now just a hollow sham consumed by drugs. Pro tennis, football and to a lesser extent cricket contain snarling hissing sportsman who will cheat if necessary to win. I am quite good at lip reading, watching Serena Williams this weekend one could see her mouthing four lettered words to line umpires. Schumaker ramming a fellow competitor off the track to stop him winning the world title and receiving a joke penalty for it.

Despite their millions, coming less than first place is miserable for them.

Is this what you see as ‘success’ ?

Most of sport has been hijacked by the money men and has resulted in the kind of people mentioned above playing it. I and many others try and keep the amateur side going with sport and young people. These young people I can assure you copy every move and attitude that is portrayed by TV.

To counter this, we need to develop new attitudes about sport. The first is is towards the aims of playing sport. We don’t have to win. A better attitude might be that sports are about enjoying yourself, having fun, and sometimes meeting new people where we do our best to win but WHERE WINNING IS NOT ALL IMPORTANT. In her last victory the ‘crash and burn’ mentality resulted in large numbers of boats not fit for the sea. But winning of course is too important. More weight means less speed so it’s ok to follow this path. Bugger to the people who have to save them and worry for them. Success is what it’s all about – whatever that means. I thought sailing was all about us, and our boats, being fit for the sea .

For me Ellen MacArthur displays an extremely unhealthy attitude as described in the book where life is all about the next sailing fix and the necessary money to do it. Where was the laughter ? It has no beginning and has no end. It is total self indulgence and is bound to lead to failure for it has no true purpose.

She is too nice, and too much of a decent human being to carry on like this. Let her go back to helping young people again, finding a partner in life, enjoying her sailing and taking part in the odd race that can be fitted in.

aod

Visit site
Re: Quite a Line

hmmm..................Where have I heard that before..........................That's it ! They said the same about Mein Kampf. (My Struggle)

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
Your struggle . . .

And just who, exactly, said that about Mein Kampf?

Yes I know that's the title of Hitler's book. That you can equate and connect writings by one of history's worst mass murderers with comments praising a young yachtswoman's achievements is bizarre, to put it mildly . . .

G

As this correspondent recently read the masterly biography (Vols 1 and 2) of Adolf Hitler by Ian Kershaw, it can only be said that the comment by aod mentioning Mein Kampf is quite disgraceful.
It is strange how Ellen generates such different emotions among sailing men (and women). Is it anti-racing, anti-female, anti-success? I don't know.
Go it, Ellen. You sail for all of England!

Aeolus_IV

Visit site

Surely her success in sailing is to the benefit of sailing (rather than just the UK) - she is taking part (and winning) in what has only reciently been recognised as a wolrd sport by the general public. I can easily remember the days when sailing never got a mention in the papers or TV.

Jeff.