Ellen Macarthurs book

tcm

Visit site
Criticising Ellen

umm, but I'm not all comfortable about the idea that seems to be aired from time to time that "we shouldn't criticise our great sportspeople, typical british to buildem up and then pullem down".

I beleive that it's this premature adulatuion that contributes towarsd the premature "pulling them down" - not recognising that they are mere mortals.

So, she's been super-successful at sailing, and writes a book about it. Is the book allowed to be a bit crap -or are we to avert our eyes and says what a great book, fabulous person, ambassador for the uk Hallelujah, all those who don't like the book just shut up I won't hear from them, Ellen is THE BEST Sailor Ever and let nobody say otherwise ...until she perhaps fails at the sailing, comes second.

Perhaps one difficult issue for UK is the concentrated and national press + TV, which can reach a huge proportion of the population in a very short time.

There wasa time when the royal yacht was a sailing boat, and most people remebr a time when our leaders in government or our monarchs went to sea as part of their duties if not for pleasure.

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Re: Criticising Ellen

Of course you are right, being successful should not exclude you from criticism. How can you improve at anything, if no-one tells you where you're going wrong? I'm sure Ellen reviews all of her sailing decisions, personally and with others in an effort to improve her performance.

All I was trying to say (badly) was that the quality of her writing shouldn't be criticised too heavily - she is after all a sailor not an author.

My point to the earlier posting was that it is good to see that the UK is once again showing an interest in (as you pointed out) a sport which one once traditionally our nations hallmark. I'm afraid that I'm just a little too young to remember Morning Cloud with Ted Heath, and certianly too young to remember Royalty racing yachts. But in these days where "the younger" generation (seems odd to me to be saying this) are more interested in the next mobile phone available, or video game console, the publicity that she has generated for our chosen sport can only be good.

mtb

Visit site
Strange how some get really excited so easily !!

I wont be reading the book Not unless I suddenly find a copy that's cheap in a charity shop.

To be successful more successful than the rest of the mob you have to be determined totally . Nothing or any one makes any difference because to achieve the aim is what its about.
So all this crap about being selfish is Bo*****s and short sighted IMHO

I believe her early successes are the best because against all the hard ships she succeeded and overcame adversity.
As for these days I don't think its any where near as hard to achieve because the money is there the team have an income so of course they'll work for her , that's how they make their living.

Cheers
Mick

smile you'l be on your boat soon ;-)
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats/>http://homepage.ntlworld.com/boats/</A>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Try Owen Parker\'s book

If you are too young to remmeber ted Heath's exploits
can i reccomend you get 'tack now skipper' by Owen Parker the story of the morning clouds
read that then compare ellen's book
i think it stands up very favourably against parker's who had a lifetime as professional crew / master/helm to recount

i was exhasted just reading ellen's book i did it in two days just could not put it down. i think the woman has incredible drive off the water and on. cannot admire her enough. She has her faults, we all do and these like her successes will get magnified by her fame and success. i think she is a girl focused on being the best sailor she can and constantly challenging herself and her boat. A donf ellen

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
Re: Try Owen Parker\'s book

it is quite old and no doubt out of print
my copy is with the house in anglesey i'll grab it next time i am up and post it if you want.

Ok brain let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer.

Keen_Ed

Visit site
Re: I wish people would read a post before reacting!

Funny, from what I've seen, here parents are nothing but supportive. They turned up at the Vendee start and finish, and everything I've seen in the press (so it must be true...) indicates that they're nothing but proud of her.

Furthermore, all the reports I've seen are that everybody she works with is very impressed. Just look at who she's lined up to crew the Jules Verne challenge. These are not easy people to impress.

I have absolutely no problem with single minded determination myself. Not the way I'm made, but I have absolute admiration for people who do have that level of committment. In my view, people who are prepared to push themselves that hard frequently make the world a far more interesting place.

tadpole

Visit site
Do you know her?

I've known Ellen for eight years. She is a warm person, generous of spirit and never forgets her friends and family. BUT she has a rare and remarkable ability to switch modes totally and unequivocally when seriously focused on something. Hence the (occasional) unfair remarks about her being uncaring. WRONG. She is a great humanitarian and possesses great humility. I thought her book was very frank. (Remember her admonishing herself for unfairly losing her temper with colleagues, and weeping at some of the e-mails she received during the Vendee?)
Obviously, some people will enjoy her book and others won't. But I find it difficult to understand why people want to knock her achievements.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Definitely not knocking her

I started a post some months ago when it first came out - saying how brilliant she and the book was.

My point was that Mark Turner was mentioned and praised a lot in the book - and is clearly very close to her on the video (which I also have). He is described as her business partner in Offshore Challenges.

When hearing about her the other day on the tele, her partner in Offshore Challenges was named as someone else. I wondered what had happened to Mark, thats all.

G

Mark Turner is there now

With apologies to Magic Sailor, he seems to work at a rumour mill. In the current 24 hours (28 Jan), Mark Turner is fully involved in the start and non-start of Kingfisher 2. Need facts? Try his e-mail. mark@offshorechallenges.com
Sailing was and is a small world (or is it just racing??), one always imagined everyone knew everyone.

B

bob_tyler

Re: Definitely not knocking her

Mark Turner is Operations Director for this enterprise. He has just been on West Country ITV News (lead item) explaining the current problem.

Andrew Preece (YW) was interviewed as well.