Electronic charts / Garmin plotter

Way

I know there's no simple answer to this, but it's a minefield of product out there. I've recently had a 7408 plotter fitted that comes with no charts. I hear good things about Navionics but then other people criticise them for some mistakes and user data being used.

Any advice as to what electronic charts I should buy? And anything that is similar in layout to Admiralty charts? I only need UK and N France covered at the moment.

Thanks
Andy

mhouse

Visit site
I may be wrong but I thought Garmin plotters have to have Garmin charts. ( Blue chart G2 )

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, garmin bluecharts are the only ones that will run. Suggest if you want Admiralty style charts for reference electronically you get a tablet as well with Memory Map installed.

pvb

Visit site
That clears that up nice and swiftly...thanks all!

You have a choice of BlueChart G2 HD, or BlueChart G2 Vision HD. The Vision charts have all the detail of the standard G2, but add aerial photos of ports/harbours/marinas, as well as satellite imagery which can be overlaid on the chart. These are both features which I've found useful. Vision charts also have some other gimmicky bits like 3-D representation, which I find is of limited appeal. The Vision charts cost about 30% more than the standard G2.

Pete7

Visit site
I've had both the G2 and G2 vision versions of the Uk & Holland chart. There was nothing about the extras in Vision that was worth the extra to me...

My thoughts too, and interestingly the card has had some sort of malfunction and now doesn't display the photograph cartography of the land, but it really isn't that important to me so I will just carry on using it.

Pete