Electrical Work Costs??

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Yes I agree Paul I was getting carried away but the item that was missing and I later brought into the calculation was VAT.

You wouldn't have had the chance to quote for any such work regardless of that I have no reservation that you would have done an excellent job because I would have done it myself 😁

It would be interest to know what you would expect to quote albeit you don't have sight of the boat and what might be involved, perhaps you could give a range with some caveats.
The cost of parts are what they are, same with VAT.

My thinking is that 12 hours is a very long time to fit two batteries and a VSR. That's a day and a half for the one man.

steveeasy

Visit site
How much work to run 6ft of battery cable ?

Modifying wiring to accommodate the VSR ? No modifications needed, two short 6mm cable and a negative, all new, no alterations needed.

Disposing of batteries ? Drop off ant the scrap yard, who pay you 50p per kilo for them.

Easily results in 4-6 hours ? Sounds like 4 hours max to me, assuming the OP is correct about access. 12 hours sounds very excessive.
Just an observation, I am surprised you think it high. I expected you (rightly or wrongly) being a professional to come in saying it was cheap. In terms of materials batteries I would expect would easily be more than £250. Labour, Its not a two person job really. My comments in no way intended to be a criticism, more a positive comment. On that basis id happily see if you could look over some of my electrics at some point.

Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
How much work to run 6ft of battery cable ?

Modifying wiring to accommodate the VSR ? No modifications needed, two short 6mm cable and a negative, all new, no alterations needed.

Disposing of batteries ? Drop off ant the scrap yard, who pay you 50p per kilo for them.

Easily results in 4-6 hours ? Sounds like 4 hours max to me, assuming the OP is correct about access. 12 hours sounds very excessive.
So you agree 4 to 6 hours I quoted worst case, you best. Disposal of the batteries requires going to a scrap yard and also requires as the company are professionals a waste carriers licence and obligations. In reality we are not far apart but what is obvious is that as both of us state unless access etc is not what the OP states the labour part is overstated.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Just an observation, I am surprised you think it high. I expected you (rightly or wrongly) being a professional to come in saying it was cheap. In terms of materials batteries I would expect would easily be more than £250. Labour, Its not a two person job really. My comments in no way intended to be a criticism, more a positive comment. On that basis id happily see if you could look over some of my electrics at some point.

Steveeasy
OP doesn't say how big the batteries are, but 100ah Numax batteries are around £100, so the £105 is about right, but ought to include VAT at that. The terminals and cables about £60 inc VAT.

I wouldn't question the parts prices, necessarily, but the 12 hours labour seems excessive, assuming the OPs description of the work and the access is accurate (no disrespect to the OP).

steveeasy

Visit site
Why 2 people. Id be asking in writing the need for two people and see what possible justification is provided. My be very entertaining.

Steveeasy

st599

Visit site
Surely a quick email along the lines of

Unfortunately your clerical staff has accidentally added an additional 1 to the number of hours. Please could you re-issue the invoice with the correct number of hours as listed in the quotation.

Geoff Wode

Visit site
Surely a quick email along the lines of

Unfortunately your clerical staff has accidentally added an additional 1 to the number of hours. Please could you re-issue the invoice with the correct number of hours as listed in the quotation.
This.

Helidan

Visit site
OP doesn't say how big the batteries are, but 100ah Numax batteries are around £100, so the £105 is about right, but ought to include VAT at that. The terminals and cables about £60 inc VAT.

I wouldn't question the parts prices, necessarily, but the 12 hours labour seems excessive, assuming the OPs description of the work and the access is accurate (no disrespect to the OP).
Start is 110ah, service is 85ah.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
An interesting thread.

I had the mast rewired by a ‘marine electrician’, as the mast was down for another job being done in the yard. The chap decided to replace the steaming lamp not on my instructions and had the parts delivered in a gold coach looking at the delivery charges.

A job that took me a morning with the mast up on my old boat somehow took a day and a half with the mast down. I was expecting it to take half a morning with the mast down.

The invoice was promptly returned to the company pointing out the errors and a substantial reduction in costs was applied.

The same ‘marine electrician’ informed me that my VHF antenna did not work, without testing it! It was a Metz and I’m convinced that confused him.

I don't take pleasure in telling people of what happened, but will never use that contractor for any work in the future.

Since then I have always made it quite clear, in writing, the cost limits of any work carried out by contractors and they need my agreement in writing to go over it.

Helidan

Visit site
An interesting thread.

I had the mast rewired by a ‘marine electrician’, as the mast was down for another job being done in the yard. The chap decided to replace the steaming lamp not on my instructions and had the parts delivered in a gold coach looking at the delivery charges.

A job that took me a morning with the mast up on my old boat somehow took a day and a half with the mast down. I was expecting it to take half a morning with the mast down.

The invoice was promptly returned to the company pointing out the errors and a substantial reduction in costs was applied.

The same ‘marine electrician’ informed me that my VHF antenna did not work, without testing it! It was a Metz and I’m convinced that confused him.

I don't take pleasure in telling people of what happened, but will never use that contractor for any work in the future.

Since then I have always made it quite clear, in writing, the cost limits of any work carried out by contractors and they need my agreement in writing to go over it.
This is the very first time I've used this particular company, they've actually been going for a very long time. I can't imagine ever using them again, this thread has convinced me that basically at every opportunity they tried to get more money and hoping I'd be ok with that. It's actually an interesting situation because the company in question are also customers of mine!!!

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
This is the very first time I've used this particular company, they've actually been going for a very long time. I can't imagine ever using them again, this thread has convinced me that basically at every opportunity they tried to get more money and hoping I'd be ok with that. It's actually an interesting situation because the company in question are also customers of mine!!!
My original reply was based on the information you originally provided. Having now read the thread I would agree with Paul and others that 12 Hrs. is way over the top. I would be asking questions Re the original quote and final invoice. Were you on site at the time? I suspect not, you may on reflection have difficulty proving it did not take that long :unsure: As You say, I would give them a wide berth in future.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Estimates are not fixed quotations.
But should be quite close to the final invoice. After all you are paying for somebody who is skilled and has done jobs very like the one on your boat before.

If the contractor is going to go well over the estimate they really should be lifting the phone and discussing it with you. It is not as if they need to walk to the office to make the call these days.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Recently had some very minor electrical work carried out, wasn't particularly happy with the invoice.

I had a new start battery, new service battery (both Numax), about 6ft of 50mm heavy cable, half a dozen heavy crimp terminals, battery terminals and a £30 VSR. All extremely easy to install with excellent access in the engine room, was told a couple of hours work at most in the beginning. Invoice was over £1k!! Does this seem right? They booked 12 hours labour for this job. If it helps, this was an electrical business in Pembrokeshire.
I reckon that it is about 400 quid for the batteries, battery terminal and cable.
600 quid for 12 hours is 50 quid an hour, which is perfectly reasonable.

However, 12 hours seems to be way over the top.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The OP was told "a couple of hours work at most" and then invoiced for 12.

So you think that's OK ?
No as you know I have said the invoice and 12 hours for the job on the basis of what has been written is wrong. However a simple statement of a couple of hours work is neither an estimate nor a quote.

Other threads that may be of interest