Electrical 12V sockets on deck

B27

Visit site
Any recommendations for deck plugs and sockets?
I need to replace a few for the mast wiring and also add sockets for solar.

Neeves

Visit site
There are options to deck glands and thy have been the topic of discussion here, on YBW - so give users comments. You choice is then based on 'peer review' rather than someone with questionable credibility.....:)

Google:

'Deck wiring swan necks' and you will find some options.

Use the YBW search function and key in:

'Deck wiring swan necks'

The latter, using YBW, will give you pros and cons of swan necks vs glands.

We had a swan neck at the mast base on our catamaran but don't be influenced by us (we only owned the cat for 25 years,) read comments from fellow members.. One advantage is the swan necks can have a larger diameter allowing the addition of more cables at a later time. We also used deck glands, again for 25 years, when cables could not be conveniently routed to the mast base, for example our SSB aerial, which used a shroud, and the power cable for our wind gen, located at the transom - horses for courses tempered by location location, location.

As Rainbew mentions you need a connector box below deck. If you don't have a box its worth getting one (its neat and dry) and its easier to label everything. Remember to label each wire, the internal wire, the matching one off the mast and the location where the two reconnect

If you have a radar cable I, personally, would not cut it but go to the inconvenience of pulling it out individually - unless you can source a split cable with approved connectors (at the appropriate location).

If you can weld, or know someone who does weld stainless (cheaply) its a simple product.

Jonathan

Last edited:

saxonpirate

Visit site
I'm definitely another one for taking them through the deck and to a junction box below.

I had the mast down on my Contest 33 this time last year for major refurbishment, and among the jobs on my list was to 'through deck' all the wiring. The previous set up with deck connectors was always giving trouble, so now all wiring is neatly package under deck in the dry and easily available for inspection.. (y)

jamie N

Visit site
I use these from 12 volt planet, and have found them to be good enough.
There's a caveat though, I've spent a lifetime wiring up and using this type of connector..

B27

Visit site
I use these from 12 volt planet, and have found them to be good enough.
There's a caveat though, I've spent a lifetime wiring up and using this type of connector..
That looks good value and will cover the hole where the current tiller pilot connector is. Thank You!

I will probably put some sort of deck glands and connector box for the mast foot connections.
Where the previous owner has sited the sockets makes them vulnerable.
Ideally for my solar panels I'd like some connectors which don't stick out far from the deck.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
That looks good value and will cover the hole where the current tiller pilot connector is. Thank You!

I will probably put some sort of deck glands and connector box for the mast foot connections.
Where the previous owner has sited the sockets makes them vulnerable.
Ideally for my solar panels I'd like some connectors which don't stick out far from the deck.
Low Profile Flange Mount Connector

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Thanks for that.
The issue is more the height of a mated pair.
I've seen some connectors on a boat where the plug on the lead is a right angle, so the lead stays close to the deck.
But I don't know the origin of them.
Something like that would work neatly for some solar panels.
Do the solar panels actually need to be on a plug/socket ?

B27

Visit site
Do the solar panels actually need to be on a plug/socket ?
It seems the best way to have some non-permanent panels which can be moved around or taken in for sailing in rougher weather etc.
Possibly I will use a short flex which remains on deck somewhere, which panels can plug into.
Maybe a flex coming out of the deck galnd box in fron the mast would serve any panels mounted on the mast or boom, and another flex in the stern locker would serve panels at the stern.
I could then use automotive style waterproof inline connectors.

I mostly need to avoid cables trailing around the deck and cabin. Too many trip hazards and snagging points already!

BabaYaga

Visit site
It seems the best way to have some non-permanent panels which can be moved around or taken in for sailing in rougher weather etc.
Possibly I will use a short flex which remains on deck somewhere, which panels can plug into.
Maybe a flex coming out of the deck galnd box in fron the mast would serve any panels mounted on the mast or boom, and another flex in the stern locker would serve panels at the stern.
I could then use automotive style waterproof inline connectors.

I mostly need to avoid cables trailing around the deck and cabin. Too many trip hazards and snagging points already!
This photo shows how I solved a similar issue. The two sockets for the roving solar panels are Bulgin Buccaneer, which can be had with screw on lids for when not in use.
The stainless steel box that takes all the cables (navigation lights, VHF etc) below decks is called Cableport.
Stainless Steel Deck Cable Lead-Thru only 105,95 € | SVB
Performes similar function as a swan neck fitting, but less of a trip hazard.

sockets.jpeg

PaulRainbow

Visit site
This photo shows how I solved a similar issue. The two sockets for the roving solar panels are Bulgin Buccaneer, which can be had with screw on lids for when not in use.
The stainless steel box that takes all the cables (navigation lights, VHF etc) below decks is called Cableport.
Stainless Steel Deck Cable Lead-Thru only 105,95 € | SVB
Performes similar function as a swan neck fitting, but less of a trip hazard.

View attachment 163538
I had one of those cable ports on my last boat, good kit.

Martin_J

Visit site
Search the forum for Cableport and you'll find my link to a supplier..

Great because cables exit horizontally and crew can stand on them with no worries.

VHF cable through deck

But the cheap option if you want a few flat glands (for example of a couple of solar panels on the transom) would be from Index Marine...

Easy to maintain and cable joints can be made below deck..

Screenshot_20230907-213159_Samsung Internet.jpg

They mount nicely on a vertical surface with the cable forming a nice 'drip loop' as it exits.

B27

Visit site
Thank you.
I think two of those might do the job and cover up the holes previous owners have drilled.
Under £20 too!

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I've also used the Index Marine deck glands which exit horizontally, used on solar panels, also available for twin cables. Excellent glands and reasonably priced and in different colours.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site

I would recommend this and have had one for about 8 years now, bought from Salty Johns (no longer trading). I bought it for exactly the same reasons as Paul Rainbow stated, to move connectors below deck. In the years that Have owned it, not a drop of water has ever gone though the port. It also has large diameter hole that allows internal plugs to come through, in my case, when removing the mast. It works like a dorade box, but also has a basic seal where the cables enter the side. Great kit, can be stood on, hosed on, big waves dump of water, just a good bit of kit.

I will buy another for a future radar installation to take radar cable, wind generator, stern light and antenna cables and I will remove the deck glands currently on the stern.