Electric Windlass for Hallberg Rassy 312

nimuemusic

Visit site
Can anyone help with advice/drawings on installing an electric windlass on a Hallberg Rassy 312? Which is the best model for the boat and where EXACTLY can it be located so the the chain falls unhindered into the chain locker?

aluijten

Visit site
I used to own a HR312 (Mark II from 1992). It had a manual windlass.
I looked into this question at the time. There are two options, either a model that sits on top of the deck directly behind (aft of) the anchor locker (horizontal spindle) or a vertical one where the motor 'hangs' under the deck, basically on the same place behind the locker.
The latter may give you trouble with the gas bottles that are there as well. We had 2 propane bottles with 5 kg gas. It may very well be that the motor will block the access to the bottles. In that case the only option is a version completely above deck.
In my case I decided it was not worth the trouble and I kept the SL manual windlass.

The other problem is that the hole though the deck where the chain comes though sits above the gas bottles. So I made a removable 'gutter'/'chute' similar to the things you see on children playgrounds (but then much smaller) that would guide the chain in front of the bottles. It needed to be removable to keep access to the bottles and to keep room to put in the fenders.

With a chain length of about 35 meters this worked reasonably well but you still had to spread the chain during anchor up to prevent a pile up, blocking the chute.

Last edited:

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
Can anyone help with advice/drawings on installing an electric windlass on a Hallberg Rassy 312? Which is the best model for the boat and where EXACTLY can it be located so the the chain falls unhindered into the chain locker?
I don't have a HR312 but a HR94 - same length and similar foredeck configuration. I have a Vetus Ajax (1000W) that works very well.

This looks lilke a standard HR312 installation:
b30910-bow-detail.jpg

So it would appear that the anchor locker extends well aft from the hinged lid allowing the winch enough mounting space for the chain fall to drop into the locker. Clearly one should mount the winch as far forward and to the centreline as the locker lid allows, ensuring that the chain under tension clears the arc of the lid opening. The Vetus has a vertical drive as opposed to the horizontal drive in the picture.

I do have the annoying case of chain piling up in a pyramid against the aft locker wall that needs tipping over sometimes, but that is common and no big deal.

pvb

Visit site
I believe the forward bulkhead of the HR312 was changed between the Mk1 and Mk2 versions - the latter had a vertical bulkhead. This is likely to change the optimum arrangements for the anchor windlass, so it might be useful if posters refer to which version they're talking about.

pvb

Visit site
If for drop HR a line on info@hallberg-rassy.se they will almost certainly be able to pin-point the location for you. I've asked them all sorts of things in the past and they've never let me down.

Mark

Agreed, they're very helpful, but you can't assume that their recommendation will be totally satisfactory. The factory-installed Lofrans windlass on my HR is far from perfect - the chain always piles up in the anchor locker and needs constant attention to stop jams.

aluijten

Visit site
Agreed, they're very helpful, but you can't assume that their recommendation will be totally satisfactory. The factory-installed Lofrans windlass on my HR is far from perfect - the chain always piles up in the anchor locker and needs constant attention to stop jams.

I think most yachts suffer from this problem. Designing a anchor locker that is big enough to handle the piling up eats away too much space required elsewhere.
The "simple" solution is to use stainless steel anchor chain. However, apart form the (huge) costs there are some other problems related to the usage of stainless steel anchor chains.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I think you will have to obtain the specification of different models after measuring what space you have available. You are not bound to the HR standard for your boat and you have the chance to fit whatever you prefer.

My Vetus, here :

4798_buyuk.jpg

may be superseded as it is quite an old design and Vetus has bought out Maxwell, which had some good designs:

rc12.jpg

I personally like the vertical drive as it makes for a low deck profile as you can see below, but it does require that you ensure there is sufficient mounting space for the motor in the anchor locker.

IMG_3325a.jpg

What I would strongly recommend whatever model you choose is to fit a remote control - a boon when single-handing.

Tranona

Visit site
I neglected to say it is the Mk 1 version HR312. Does this make a difference?

PVB (above) has suggested what the differences in the anchor locker may be. However, there are many different types of windlasses available, not just the one that HR may have fitted. All the manufacturers have information on choosing the right model and installation drawings so that you can see what fits and what doesn't.