Electric Deck Socket?

Shiver Metimbers

Visit site
I have two electrical two pin deck sockets on the outside of my transom, one either side. They are wired in parallel, 12v supply from the auxiliary battery via the switch panel and fused 10 amps. What would these have been used for?

ksutton

Visit site
Could have been for 12v air compressor to top up inflatable tender, but 10 amp is a bit low, most would require 20+ amp.

Or maybe small 12v fuel transfer pump? from containers in a tender?

Roaming lamp to illuminate transom area for tender access at night?

rob2

Visit site
Could have been an input from solar panels? Would allow them to be moved to the sunniest side.

Some long distance sailors use a tiller pilot to drive a servo pendulum gear in place of the windvane, too.

Rob.

VicS

Visit site
Its pure quess work what they might have been for.

On my boat there is a socket on the aft deck right next to the ensign staff socket. It's energised when the nav lights are on!

Shiver Metimbers

Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I have no idea what I could use them for, maybe a cockpit lamp or inspection lamp, anyway they are not hurting where they are and leaving them alone is a lot easier than filling holes (i have enough of those already) with gel coat filler?

Cheers,

Billjratt

Visit site
If you can't see a use for them, I'd disconnect them at the panel. They'll just corrode in the salt atmosphere out there at the back.
Can the previous owner be contacted? (just in case you've bought something special)

Shiver Metimbers

Visit site
Hi, can anyone tell me what these sockets are called? I need something like this and their corresponding plugs to fit in my cockpit for my solar panels. Are they waterproof?

Just google two pin deck plug, loads out there with big difference in prices, this is what they look like although this one is a three pin. I would think they wioll be splash proof?

Deckplug.jpg

VicS

Visit site
The plugs illustrated above are one possibility.
They are water proof and they come with various pin combinations and also in different sizes.

One pin of the 3 pin variety is usually earthed to the body ... bear in mind when connecting or you get funny corrosion of the outside!

Personally I prefer "Driplugs" http://www.driplug.com/ but I have both types in use.