Egg before Chicken (or not?)

James_Calvert

Visit site
Definitely the boat first. You can sail it around while you look for a permanent mooring. There's nothing you can do with a mooring without a boat.

But do your homework on likely costs first.

Ideally find and join a club which has moorings, you'll probably find that once you've got the boat, they'll find you somewhere temporarily for the first season.

If you can afford commercial rates, a mooring is unlikely to be a problem.

Babylon

Visit site
This forum needs a like button :)
I spend most of my time on tech forums and the level of ass on those is staggering - this place is a breath of fresh air.

Just wait... ;)

Re your original question, focus on finding the right boat first.

Then, on your travels, check out different mooring locations and talk to people there.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
I can't thank you guys enough for the pointers, I'm now very confident about the whole matter.

I will be contacting those kind souls who suggested I do so - when I get closer to the agreement date.

Many thanks.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
There seem to be many more moorings available in Chichester Harbour than a few years back.

http://www.conservancy.co.uk/page/moorings/322/

Five or six years ago, all that was available were a few out at the back of beyond in the Nutbourne Channel, but now even Itchenor Reach seems to have plenty.

So there will always be somewhere to put a boat if you have one.

+1 quite noticeable this year...

My club (Langstone SC) has vacancies, and we also have half tide moorings available last time I looked...

emsworthy

Visit site
As Moonshining said, there are a lot more moorings around than there were a few years back. Our club in Emsworth has several vacant that are crying out for a Centaur or similar. Definitely find the right boat first, the moorings market is definitely stacked in favour of the buyer at the moment with no sign of changing any time soon.

SiteSurfer

Visit site
I think I'm just glad that my initial expectation of having no change left out of 2K a year for a mooring has been firmly put away.