Effect of Coronavirus on Boat Prices

V1701

Visit site
It's certainly a buyers market, particularly when ill health comes to call.

This is what twenty odd grand can buy you - not a tore out, based in Greece, off Ebay but a UK based boat, in commission placed with a pukka broker:

Beneteau First 456

"A lot of boat for the money" for sure but if you can afford to run a boat of that size you're very unlikely to be looking at one of that age. At that price it may well tempt someone but that someone would likely be biting off way more than they can chew. Maybe a prospect for a racing syndicate?

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
If you are over 60 this is the perfect time to do a Lord Lucan. Bugger off in your own boat
and escape without a trace from all those boring commitments like paying money back
and other time consuming responsibilities .

If you don't phone, people will think you have pegged out and just a statistic where
flu or pneumonia was just a friendly and quick way to go. Just make sure that you have fully cashed in beforehand and it's sitting there waiting for you in the Cayman Islands

langstonelayabout

Visit site
The latest press blurb regarding the virus (excluding Brexit effects) is now including the virus, effects and the loss of jobs in the cruise and aviation industries.

Its not looking good, although if it means that I can get a couple of grand off of the boat I'm currently sniffing around it'd be good, but they have just stopped flights everywhere from work, so i can't get back to Europe to see the damn boat...:mad:

Can someone that lives near dun laoghaire please go and view the boat for me (yes, I'll pay you, especially if you can walk me around the boat via FaceTime).

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Some are living in there own little bubble , when there talk about bugging off , bugging off to where?
Europe is in lock down, and soon most of the world will follow until this virus dies .
Think yourself luck back in the UK only small step are being taken although I not sure there the right steps.
Here in Italy we are confined to our boats other then going to the super market there is no movement of boats.
although there are around 30 boats with people living on them there no one are to be seen.
If you do happen to walk pass a boat with someone in the cockpit where once they would walk over to greet you now they stay well away.
It's really some thing like out of a film set.
Unless thing change this will be the scene in the UK in weeks to comes,

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In the begin when it first started I was like most people, my option was The world going mad , it's less then the yearly flu which infect and kill many more hundreds of thousands of people.
Some weeks later I have to say my opinion have changed.
At the moment back home not much have change so to most life just goes on , you can still go to the shop, take your boat out for a sail, even go for a walk and god I hope it stays like that.
Here it's very different there no shops open other then supermarkets and Pharmacy, the street are empty , people are being stopped by police and ask where they going, there no moment of boats not even a morning sail.
Some talk of escape out of the marina at night but even if they did there no where to go nearly every port is close if caught anchored out there chances are there be some come back.
It's stop being a joking matter.
There real concern with us full time cruisers how things are going to pain out .

geem

Visit site
In the begin when it first started I was like most people, my option was The world going mad , it's less then the yearly flu which infect and kill many more hundreds of thousands of people.
Some weeks later I have to say my opinion have changed.
At the moment back home not much have change so to most life just goes on , you can still go to the shop, take your boat out for a sail, even go for a walk and god I hope it stays like that.
Here it's very different there no shops open other then supermarkets and Pharmacy, the street are empty , people are being stopped by police and ask where they going, there no moment of boats not even a morning sail.
Some talk of escape out of the marina at night but even if they did there no where to go nearly every port is close if caught anchored out there chances are there be some come back.
It's stop being a joking matter.
There real concern with us full time cruisers how things are going to pain out .
We are fortune enough to be anchored in the Grenadines in the Caribbean. No issue here so life is normal but, what do we do with regard to to going home? We have elderly parents who are at risk from the virus. Our trip home from here is convoluted due to having dogs. We normally fly Curacao to Amsterdam, train to Hook of Holland, ferry to Harwich and one way car hire home. Lots of opportunity to pick up the virus on route then visits to elderly parents and you give them the virus. We did plan to go home for hurricane season.
Alternatively we stay in the Caribbean for the summer and hope it doesnt become a major problem here. If it did then the chances of getting treatment are negligible. If we went home we probably wouldnt be able to get back for some time. The population here wont want anybody flying in from infected countries, who can blame them. Its a real dilema

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We are fortune enough to be anchored in the Grenadines in the Caribbean. No issue here so life is normal but, what do we do with regard to to going home? We have elderly parents who are at risk from the virus. Our trip home from here is convoluted due to having dogs. We normally fly Curacao to Amsterdam, train to Hook of Holland, ferry to Harwich and one way car hire home. Lots of opportunity to pick up the virus on route then visits to elderly parents and you give them the virus. We did plan to go home for hurricane season.
Alternatively we stay in the Caribbean for the summer and hope it doesnt become a major problem here. If it did then the chances of getting treatment are negligible. If we went home we probably wouldnt be able to get back for some time. The population here wont want anybody flying in from infected countries, who can blame them. Its a real dilema
We too both have elderly mother 95 and 91 and are concealed for then, we have no way of getting to them
but we wouldn't want to get on a plane now anyway especially then going to visit them .
So we only hope that it will pass without any harm coming to them or us.
We would rather be at anchor isolated then in the marina but we lock down and now just making the most of it with the other 25 odd live aboard, in a matter of a week life have change to some thing we never imagine .

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Does it help to remember that in Hubei province only 1 in 700 people got it badly enough to need medical attention and of those only 1 in 30 died?

doris

Visit site
It's certainly a buyers market, particularly when ill health comes to call.

This is what twenty odd grand can buy you - not a tore out, based in Greece, off Ebay but a UK based boat, in commission placed with a pukka broker:

Beneteau First 456
Strap me, that's a lot of the boat for the money. Especially if you offer £20k and probably get it!