Easter plan A.. Channel crossing

colhel

Visit site
I've done this a few times in a sailing boat but this will be our first time in a motor boat.
Nimbus 3003 with single Tamd41a.
Jobs completed this Winter, new oil and filters ,fuel filters, cooling issue sorted to the best of my knowledge anyway ie, can run at WOT for a long period of time and temperature gauge doesn't go above 90., the exhaust elbow and intercooler don't get overly hot and I'm not loosing any coolant from the fresh water system.The unusual rubbing noise has gone since I tightened the allen bolts on the clamp that grips the prop shaft.
I'm having her lifted and scrubbed at Portland, where I'll be fitting a new arbour for the rope cutter.
So, come Friday the plan is to leave Weymouth about 5.30am to catch the East going tide into Cherbourg, we will be cruising about 12-15 knots depending on comfort and conditions so a bit of help from the tide will be welcome, probably. On Sunday we'll head over to Alderney to meet some friends on their sailing boat and then down to Guernsey with the possibility of a bit more exploring and then heading back to our home berth at East Cowes Marina.
This isn't only our first motor boat but our first boat with a proper fridge, battery charger and hot water, I haven't seen a polarity check light on board. Should I reverse the wires in the shore power socket (IF) we decide to connect up? the batteries shouldn't need re-charging so I'll just switch the charger off.
Any other tips most welcome!!!:)

Montemar

www.voltloudspeakers.co.uk
Went to Cherbourg recently and had to pay full wack for fuel which was a shocker. We just plugged straight into the mains on the pontoon, we normally berth in Weymouth Marina so you are probably OK.
We sailed from Gosport and it took 5.5 hours at 15/16 knots.
Have a good trip.

dj43

Visit site
I've done this a few times in a sailing boat but this will be our first time in a motor boat.
Jobs completed this Winter, new oil and filters ,fuel filters, cooling issue sorted to the best of my knowledge anyway ie, can run at WOT for a long period of time and temperature gauge doesn't go above 90., the exhaust elbow and intercooler don't get overly hot and I'm not loosing any coolant from the fresh water system.The unusual rubbing noise has gone since I tightened the allen bolts on the clamp that grips the prop shaft.
I'm having her lifted and scrubbed at Portland, where I'll be fitting a new arbour for the rope cutter.
So, come Friday the plan is to leave Weymouth about 5.30am to catch the East going tide into Cherbourg, we will be cruising about 12-15 knots depending on comfort and conditions so a bit of help from the tide will be welcome, probably. On Sunday we'll head over to Alderney to meet some friends on their sailing boat and then down to Guernsey with the possibility of a bit more exploring and then heading back to our home berth at East Cowes Marina.
This isn't only our first motor boat but our first boat with a proper fridge, battery charger and hot water, I haven't seen a polarity check light on board. Should I reverse the wires in the shore power socket (IF) we decide to connect up? the batteries shouldn't need re-charging so I'll just switch the charger off.

Why bother with Cherbourg , have a great trip

Nigelpickin

www.cornishcottageholidays.co.uk
Colin/Helen

Have a great trip, it’ll be nice being able to travel in the direction you want for the crossing ;)

Carteret is a nice alternative to Cherbourg and easy reach from Alderney....then you can bounce back up to Guernsey for some cheap fuel before heading home,

I wouldn’t worry too much about polarity - might be worth googling your charger to make sure it can handle it tho’

Wishing you both fair seas and no wind.....
:)

Last edited:

Elessar

Visit site

I love the way you are using and enjoying your boat.
You don’t need any advice.
Hope to catch up in person before too long.

RupertW

Visit site

We always use a cheapo B&Q plug in polarity checker on a mains socket in the cabin and find even the same marina will reverse from one visit to the next. So years ago I made up a very short extension to reverse the polarity back if needed - as it happens I’m using it now. But mark it well so it’s clear what it does.

Angele

Visit site
We always use a cheapo B&Q plug in polarity checker on a mains socket in the cabin and find even the same marina will reverse from one visit to the next. So years ago I made up a very short extension to reverse the polarity back if needed - as it happens I’m using it now. But mark it well so it’s clear what it does.

+1. Exactly what I have too.

Angele

Visit site
With reference to Nigel's advice above re Carteret be aware that marina entrance depths are likely to be reduced to 1 metre until the end of the month. There is a notice from Ports of Jersey to this effect.

Is there? Can you post a link to it, please? I've looked on the Jersey Harbours website and I can't see anything. I'm planning to head that way at the start of May, and want to keep an eye out in case it isn't back to normal by then.

colhel

Visit site
I hadn't considered any of the Ports down the West coast of Normandy as I've never been that way by boat and trying to catch the tide worries me a little. Also we quite like Cherbourg, I get a feeling I'm in a minority here :D. Our friends aren't due in Alderney till Tuesday now so maybe we can venture into Carteret, I've read what Cunnliffe has to say on it and it does look quite delightful, thanks for the tip Nigel.
The weather forecasters seem more optimistic the nearer we get to the weekend and as we're leaving from Weymouth and it's an Easterly, I'm hoping we'll get a good idea of the conditions early into the trip and decide weather to carry on or turn back.
I spent the weekend nailing a chart plotter to the dash, updated Navionics (phone and hudl) and I've got paper charts. Also fitted a new impellor yesterday.

Dill et Bound

Visit site
I hadn't considered any of the Ports down the West coast of Normandy as I've never been that way by boat and trying to catch the tide worries me a little. Also we quite like Cherbourg, I get a feeling I'm in a minority here :D. Our friends aren't due in Alderney till Tuesday now so maybe we can venture into Carteret, I've read what Cunnliffe has to say on it and it does look quite delightful, thanks for the tip Nigel.
The weather forecasters seem more optimistic the nearer we get to the weekend and as we're leaving from Weymouth and it's an Easterly, I'm hoping we'll get a good idea of the conditions early into the trip and decide weather to carry on or turn back.
I spent the weekend nailing a chart plotter to the dash, updated Navionics (phone and hudl) and I've got paper charts. Also fitted a new impellor yesterday.

I really prefer Dillette. Far more accessible and nearer to Alderney.

Last edited:

IDAMAY

Winter: Algarve Summer: Wherever the boat is.
Visit site

It wasn't in fact a Notice to Mariners but an Email from Jersey Ports. Apologies for the confusion. Contrary to Nigel's link it says that the depth over the cill is reduced to 1metre, that work commences on 18 April and should be completed by the end of the month. I would suggest that anyone thinking of visiting over Easter should contact Carteret before venturing there. (VHF ch9 or 0033 233047084}.

dj43

Visit site
Only reason questioned Cherbourg ,was as you were heading to Alderney , seams you will head back on your self from Weymouth , but if that's your plan ,can understand , have a great time and look forward to catching up when your back