East Fort Massac

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Whilst also a bit slow at the moment, wonder if anyone can clarify the above 'Massac" re Harwich approach. There is a Fort Massac in the USA. Wonder if Massac has some relevance to Pilgrims.

tillergirl

Visit site
Yeap. Really handy for conditions 'outside'. Nice display.

I tried to use the East Massac tide gauge when the Walton gauge failed for a while a year back.

RivalRedwing

Visit site
This does seem a prime example of causing confusion for visitors. I'm sure most could understand 'Harwich Approach' as the slightly vague location for the site but I am puzzling over the benefit or justification for renaming it East Fort Massac... (or the approach to it...) does it appear on the charts, I don't have mine to hand.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
This does seem a prime example of causing confusion for visitors. I'm sure most could understand 'Harwich Approach' as the slightly vague location for the site but I am puzzling over the benefit or justification for renaming it East Fort Massac... (or the approach to it...) does it appear on the charts, I don't have mine to hand.

Taken from VMH digital charts, obviously UKHO source material.

Fort Massac.jpg

Visit site
It is called Fort Massac ,as that is the name of the ship wrecked. Fort class ships were built in Canada for the British mercantile marine, as opposed the Liberty class ships built in the USA. Incidentally the same class built for the Canadians own fleets were called Park class. I cannot recall the actual date of when it was wrecked.

14K478

Visit site
Only one man lost. For a grim story, of arrogant bureaucratic incompetence, leading to massive loss of life, look up the sister ship FORT STIKINE.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Have often thought if there were more ships about then to hit than there are now.

You would think so given the increase in size .

14K478

Visit site
Have often thought if there were more ships about then to hit than there are now.

I have wondered about this; I think that almost certainly there were many more ships about. Even within my memory there were more -I can remember making my first crossing of the mouth of the Thames, from the Swin to the Medway, in 1973, and thinking that, in my 18 footer, under sail, at three or four knots, I was "trying to walk across the M1, in slow motion". I haven't thought that recently! ,

Last edited:

ex-Gladys

Visit site

More to the point, there is better nav equipment available nowadays. As a kid living in Penzance, I seem to remember trawlers getting wrecked around Land's End and helicopters from Culdrose landing at the Cricket Field 200 yards up the road, and delivering casualties to waiting ambulances. Of course the Torrey Canyon was the big one, the day of the accident the smell of crude oil was all through the town some 35 miles away from the Seven Stones