Dylan - which digital camera should I get?

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
Really nice video. Nice music and clever touches with the speeded up bits. How did you do that.

I am looking for a video camera to film hand operations that I do. Can Dylon or others advise on a camera with a swivel screen, zoom, ability to screw to a gorillapod and has a remote. I think I need a swivel screen that will allow one to see what is being filmed with the camera pointing so at least 90 degrees. High quality is not essential as will put clips onto the Net. Then I can fix it to the light above the operation, see that it is filming the right area and get an assistant to film when required by using the remote

Thanks

TS

I have been using Windows Movie Maker - its really simple to speed up footage... I have tried my hand at premier pro but so far find it too complicated and therefore less rewarding than movie maker... I shall persist, but the results aren't as good for me yet.

Here is another clip that I took on the Dutch canals - over an hour and a half of footage condensed into 2 minutes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfHl6DUAm9Q&NR=1

The Xacti has all the functions you require, except the remote...

Pete

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
editing time

I use a Xacti (On Dylans advice!).

I am very happy with it... Extremely portable, great battery life, and good quality images.

It struggles in low light and if you zoom too much it will struggle to focus - but for the price, fantastic! I highly recommend getting a tripod as well - I use a very portable Velbon.

My latest video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsX9iZ2kQMo

Pete

how long did it take you to make the film?

and where did you get the music?

it seems that youtube seldom kills sound tracks because of ripped music - although there is lots of royalty free stuff on the web now anyway

D

Halcyon Yachts

www.halcyonyachts.com
how long did it take you to make the film?

and where did you get the music?

it seems that youtube seldom kills sound tracks because of ripped music - although there is lots of royalty free stuff on the web now anyway

D

Hi Dylan,

It took me 4 hours or so to edit the film. I had a mass of footage taken from the two week delivery, so had to filter out what I felt were the best bits...

I fortunately know a few musicians, so my films have not violated any copy right issues...

Thanks for all the advice - I am really pleased with the results!

Pete

st599

Visit site
Speeding up is relatively simple, you just discard frames. Slowing down is harder as you need to manufacture frames which don't exist based on motion estimation.

What frame rate is it shot at? A couple of the pans look like they've been converted.

There's an excellent how to for video coverage of sailing onSailing Anarchy at the moment.

tim_ber

Visit site
Haven't read all of this thread, so forgive if I repeat anything.

Xacti ca100 records HD in MPEG4 format.

If you have a blu-ray recorder and want to burn your home video to a blu-ray disc then make sure your recorder is compatible (many require AVCHD format).

If you are lucky you can take the SD card from camcorder, insert into Blu-ray recorder and away you go.

If like me the two units do not like each other, you have to find software that will convert Mpeg4 to AVCHD (I'm still searching...)

st599

Visit site
Haven't read all of this thread, so forgive if I repeat anything.

Xacti ca100 records HD in MPEG4 format.

If you have a blu-ray recorder and want to burn your home video to a blu-ray disc then make sure your recorder is compatible (many require AVCHD format).

If you are lucky you can take the SD card from camcorder, insert into Blu-ray recorder and away you go.

If like me the two units do not like each other, you have to find software that will convert Mpeg4 to AVCHD (I'm still searching...)

AVCHD is MPEG4 (part 10 of the spec)

You need to get the file format and settings correct, try: http://www.kombitz.com/2009/02/25/h...with-soft-subtitles-for-ps3-using-multiavchd/

tim_ber

Visit site
AVCHD is MPEG4 (part 10 of the spec)

You need to get the file format and settings correct, try: http://www.kombitz.com/2009/02/25/h...with-soft-subtitles-for-ps3-using-multiavchd/

Thanks.
I have been struggling with multiavchd for a while (it keeps chucking out .mts2 files or something)

The literature I have found states "AVCHD utilizes MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVC) video coding" and Sanyo Xacti format seems to be MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, but my blu-ray recorder wants a pure 'AVCHD' file or it throws a tantrum and I just became really confused.

I will read your link and hopefully it will help me get to grips with this techy stuff.

st599

Visit site
Thanks.
I have been struggling with multiavchd for a while (it keeps chucking out .mts2 files or something)

The literature I have found states "AVCHD utilizes MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 (AVC) video coding" and Sanyo Xacti format seems to be MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, but my blu-ray recorder wants a pure 'AVCHD' file or it throws a tantrum and I just became really confused.

I will read your link and hopefully it will help me get to grips with this techy stuff.

m2ts is MPEG2 Transport Stream. This seems to suggest it does AVCHD http://www.mediacoderhq.com/index.htm

idpnd

www.svlibertalia.com
I use a Xacti (On Dylans advice!).

I am very happy with it... Extremely portable, great battery life, and good quality images.

It struggles in low light and if you zoom too much it will struggle to focus - but for the price, fantastic! I highly recommend getting a tripod as well - I use a very portable Velbon.

My latest video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsX9iZ2kQMo

Pete

Loved the cats! Nice :)

Giblets

Visit site
battery life is about an hour

so it would certainly cover a start

battery life better in summer than winter

batteries charge a treat from 12 volt socket

spare batteries from ebay about £10 a pop

a 16 gig card will record four hours

this was filmed with the camera and using a tripod from Maplins bungeed to the pushpit

its sailing through the mud channel at troublesome reach on the Alde in suffolk

Dylan

Dylan, why has your vid been "removed by the user"?? :confused: