Dutch Trip

JoCrow

Visit site
Hi, As a new member (but long term reader) of EC Forum, and planning first trip to Holland in a weeks time, please can I have recommendations in Holland for my trip. Exchanging crew for better half at ferry terminal, then having a week or so before better half returns on ferry. May have a week on my own before leaving her (boat!) there ( where?) till end of August when crew and I plan to return ( coming over on ferry). I know that it is August so may be busy.
Many thanks.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
If you're planning on the South delta, I would suggest somewhere with a train connection, Middelburg or Goes for instance. I made the mistake of trying to get near the Hook terminal, so chose Hellevoetsluis. Big mistake as public transport not easy. Where are you hoping to spend your time?

BoyBlue49

Visit site
I assume by ferry port you mean Hook of Holland. If so maybe somewhere like Haarlem , Delft, Leiden sailing up into the Markermeer to Hoorne.
Check out sailing into Europort, yachts not always that welcome.
I would suggest south Holland as Dan said Middelburg, Zierikzee area is excellent sailing and easier to get to from Dunkerque.

Habebty

Visit site
The rail station at Flushing/Vislingen is close to the little marina yacht club inside the lock. Two trains change at Rotterdam from the Hook.

wingdiver

WWW.MYSPACE.COM
There is also the option of the Veerhaven in Rotterdam or Dordrecht. Public transport to there would be easy but it's a bit of a hike from the Deltas. Always best to move on public transport rather than by boat.

TLouth7

Visit site
Note that there is currently no rail service from Hook of Holland, so you/your crew will have to get the 711 bus to/from Schiedam Central from where they can get trains to anywhere.

In the south I like the Veerse Meer and Willemstad, as well as Zierekzee and Middelburg.

PeterWright

Visit site
The South delta has some beautiful parts but, imho, the Markermeer and Ijsellmeer are even better. They also offer better sailing in the form of more open water while still being close to convenient and beautiful ports. Enkhuizen is probably my favourite Dutch town, where you can moor either in a marina 1 km walk from the railway station or in a stone walled dock just across the road from the station. Nearby are the almost as lovely ports of Medemblik and Hoorn while a couple of hours sail across the South end of the Ijsellmeer you will find Lelystad, Urk and Lemmer. If you choose to come or go via the Harwich Ijmuiden route, it's worth a stop in Amsterdam, where we enjoy the bustle of Sixhaven, a short (free) ferry ride from the Central Station, but there are other less busy marinas also connected to the town centre by free ferrys. It's a short trip up the NoordSee Canal from Ijmuiden to Amsterdam and even shorter from Amsterdam to the Markermeer.

Our usual plan is to go Harwich Ijmuiden then return Vlissingen or Breskens - Harwich or the other way round. Not really sensible for a single week, but for a fortnight or more you get to see both the southern delta and some more northern parts. If time permits, you can visit the Frisian Islands from the Ijsellmeer.

Lastly, on both cost and time considerations, take a look at the Southend - Amsterdam flights as an alternative to ferrying crew back and forth. Schiphol is a very short train ride from Amsterdam Central, from where you can get frequent reliable trains to almost anywhere (except the Hook!) or catch the free ferry if the boat is in Sixhaven. Of course, depending where you live, Southend may be an expensive train ride from home at UK rail prices, but at least its station has regular trains and is only 10 minutes walk from the departure gates.

Peter.

Marmalade

Visit site
First time across - I'd have the crew take the Eurostar to Brussels and I'd sail to Oostende. 74 miles from Languard point - you can still do it in daylight if you're going soon. Ijmuiden is 120 miles (that's an extra 7-8 hours); Hook is 100 miles. Meet the crew (Brussels to Oostende is an easy quick train), provision the boat in the excellent supermarkets in Oostende (I hear they also sell good beer) and treat your crew to a day sail up the coast into Vlissingen. From there canals to Middleberg, Goes, Veere, Zierikzee etc etc as the whim and wind take you.

bluerm166

Visit site
Yes,Missus did exactly as Marmalade laid out, last year,and returned on Eurostar from Brussels ex Vlissingen.
Worked very smoothly as we are relatively near Ashford.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I assume by ferry port you mean Hook of Holland. If so maybe somewhere like Haarlem , Delft, Leiden sailing up into the Markermeer to Hoorne.
Check out sailing into Europort, yachts not always that welcome.
I would suggest south Holland as Dan said Middelburg, Zierikzee area is excellent sailing and easier to get to from Dunkerque.

I was speaking to a Dutchman in Brightlingsea last week. He mentioned that weed in the Markermeer was more of a problem this year.

johnalison

Visit site
It will be busy in August, but not impossibly so, providing you avoid the tight spots at weekends.

I agree with the general advice given. I too prefer the north, Ijselmeer and Friesland, but this may be too much in a short time, since it takes a few days usually to transfer between N&S. As mentioned, Goes is a traditional crew changing town and is worth visiting for its own sake. Other places we have enjoyed are Willemstad, Middleharnis (a bit like a quieter version of Goes), Colijnsplaat, and just messing about in the Grevelingen. When shopping, look out for proper farmhouse cheese (boeren) which is nothing like the factory stuff, and often available for tastings in cheese shops. The Dutch like hundreds and thousands on bread and butter, but this is not a habit worth copying.

johnalison

Visit site
Or possibly the acquiring of?

It's everywhere around the Amsterdam area.

%2716%20sb%20%286%29%20copy.jpg