Dutch registration

Sundowner 39

Visit site
I am in the Netherlands and I wish to register the boat....there is an ICP..international certificate of pleasure craft which appears to cover Eu nationals and there boats which after Brexit won’t apply.

There is also a class B registration which is a comprehensive Dutch registration.

My worry is that without the right registration the boat will be deemed to be UK registered as the owners are uk Nationals and where will that leave me travelling throughout Europe ...and could have long term vat implications.

Any body have a view....and what have you done

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
One type of Dutch registration has been advertised on-line but it turns out not to be valid for foreign travel and doesn't have the right to fly Dutch ensign. Portuguese who transferred their registration were given IIRC 6 months to change back. Can't find the thread with details but it's here somewhere.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
It all came to light with NGO ships rescuing people along Lybian coasts while flying the Dutch flag but only having the ICP: the Dutch Government explicitly declared the ICP does not entitle to fly the Dutch flag.
The only way towards a Dutch flag is the Kadaster registration.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Has my partner is Dutch , we looked into it , basic unless your Dutch or live full time in the Netherlands you can forget it , as roberto said , boil down to what happen a while back , I would have to reg it under my partner name .by the way same happen in Belgium

GTom

Visit site
I am in the Netherlands and I wish to register the boat....there is an ICP..international certificate of pleasure craft which appears to cover Eu nationals and there boats which after Brexit won’t apply.

There is also a class B registration which is a comprehensive Dutch registration.

My worry is that without the right registration the boat will be deemed to be UK registered as the owners are uk Nationals and where will that leave me travelling throughout Europe ...and could have long term vat implications.

Any body have a view....and what have you done

Registration has nothing to do with VAT. If your boat is EU VAT paid (have a VAT receipt and you bought the boat on EU territory), you are fine. Brexit - if it ever happens - might need your boat to be on EU waters on brexit day (still unclear), it is a sensible idea to move her to Ireland or France in case your boat is in the UK now.

Other formalities might be different but not show-stoppers, e.g. with a non-EU registered boat in Greece you need a transit log instead of the DEKPA. But the customs won't ask you to pay VAT again, just for wearing a non-EU flag.

I don't know about other countries, e.g. how does Croatian "boat residence" (keeping the boat 2 full years there) meet with non-EU flags, but anyway, VAT is completely unrelated to your flag. Customs officers attention OTOH is not, but that only translates to money/fees if something is not in order.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site
As GTom says, flag has nothing to do with VAT. However, unless there's a deal, it's likely that after Brexit, UK flagged boats may have to prove where they were on the date or, be treated as a temporary import with 18 months limit. It also appears UK resident nationals may only be allowed in EU for 90 out of 180 days. No-one knows for certain what's going to happen but I (and most people I know) am not considering changing flag although lots of us have taken out EU residence.

GTom

Visit site
As GTom says, flag has nothing to do with VAT. However, unless there's a deal, it's likely that after Brexit, UK flagged boats may have to prove where they were on the date or, be treated as a temporary import with 18 months limit. It also appears UK resident nationals may only be allowed in EU for 90 out of 180 days. No-one knows for certain what's going to happen but I (and most people I know) am not considering changing flag although lots of us have taken out EU residence.

More, UK flag (part 1) is now available to all EU residents/citizens. I am curious if there will be any administrative hurdles/what the individual countries will need to prove VAT paid status. E.G. Croatia always wanted a T2L document. This might not be a bad idea to get one dated before brexit.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Let be honest no one knows what going to happen if Brexit takes places . Maybe nothing and we all carry on as we have for years .
I not sure where the suggestion of making sure your boat is in the EU came from RYA? GOV? CA? or did it start here .
It maybe after Brexit other EU country will says , sorry mate British boat pay up or get out within 18 months , on the other hand they want our money and just turn a blind eye .
I not saying don't take what ever precautions you can ,
Anyway back to the open post , after our little bit of investigation on Dutch reg , I think your wasting your money with that company , if you live in holland and resident in holland then you should be able to get it Dutch registration.

GTom

Visit site
AFAIK the original source of the idea was the Cruising Association, but the RYA picked up as well (or vice versa). Anyway true, it's pure guesswork, based on a theoretical hard EU reaction on a no-deal brexit scenario.

Regarding registering via a broker, agreed, if you are excluded for a reason (residency, etc) no "legal professionals" can get you a flag, if not, then it's not too complicated to proceed.

Last edited:

GTom

Visit site

Thanks, it seems they've got an early view from the EU Commission (as I recollect, it was two deadline postponements ago). Still, many aspects unclear: what happens to boats anchored (no proof of stay) in EU territory, specifically Ireland, where AFAIK free movement trough the border is already agreed, boats on the Channel Islands (neither EU nor UK) or other non-EU territories? Whether flag or owner's residency will have any role to play is undecided yet, what we know is, that flag is currently completely independent from VAT status.

Graham376

Visit site
.......what happens to boats anchored (no proof of stay) in EU territory,

My boat lives on a mooring in Portugal when we're back in the UK. As I own the mooring, there are no invoices/receipts so I will most likely ask the local club or PM to confirm its location if we Brexit when we're not there. Those living on anchor may be wise to spend the day in a marina.

Other threads that may be of interest