Dutch barge entering Walton Backwaters pond

shanemax

Visit site
What the video does not show is the whole area, except "the pond" dries out to all mud. The joy of "the pond" is you are a five minute walk from Walton town and pier. I have not stayed there for a year or so but when i last stayed there for a week the longer you stayed the more the daily charge came down.. Its worth a visit if only to see the hand crank water barrier in action. If you look at the entrance you will wonder how a barge got in.

Plum

Visit site
What the video does not show is the whole area, except "the pond" dries out to all mud. The joy of "the pond" is you are a five minute walk from Walton town and pier. I have not stayed there for a year or so but when i last stayed there for a week the longer you stayed the more the daily charge came down.. Its worth a visit if only to see the hand crank water barrier in action. If you look at the entrance you will wonder how a barge got in.
Current details and prices are here The Basin — Walton Yacht Basin

Here is what it looks like at low water
W&FYC5.JPG

Last edited:

shanemax

Visit site
For those who do not know this area, or for those with poor eyesight (like me) the rather small pond is behind the club slightly to the left. The sea is just beyond the houses in the same direction and the town which has a long pier is a 4-5 minute walk away. I think this is an excellent, award winning photo. Well done plum.

shanemax

Visit site
And just to add, if you use "the pond" ( which I have several times) you get the use of the club which is 10/10, with a lovely bar/restaurant,, and the best shower rooms you will find any where plus a friendly greeting.

Plum

Visit site
For those who do not know this area, or for those with poor eyesight (like me) the rather small pond is behind the club slightly to the left. The sea is just beyond the houses in the same direction and the town which has a long pier is a 4-5 minute walk away. I think this is an excellent, award winning photo. Well done plum.
Agree it is a great photo but I did not produce it. Found it online a few years ago and can't now find the owner to credit him/her.

There are some good photos here Walton and Frinton Yacht Club
And there is a good video here Getting Here & Map — Walton and Frinton Yacht Club

Last edited:

pks1702

Visit site
The Pond has gone all modern since I was last there (it was 10 years or so ago) floating pontoons!

Where have the mooring balls gone that allowed East Coast Mediterranean mooring ;)

Cantata

Visit site

nortada

Visit site
I have 2 boats at the club, one in the pond and the other outside on the mud.

From the positions of my boat I can confirm that this picture was taken summer/autumn 2022, sometime after mid August.

Little or nothing has changed since.

Whilst the video is excellent, you will need a bit more water to get into the pond.

Seem to recall the gate into the pond is opened, by request, at about 3m above chart datum on the Harwich Tide Guage.

Last edited:

Cantata

Visit site
I have 2 boats at the club, one in the pond and the other outside on the mud.

From the positions of my boat I can confirm that this picture was taken summer/autumn 2022, sometime after mid August.........
Good spot! I thought it was one of this year's pics, Actually 12th July last year, at 1711 to be precise. I'm standing on the left-hand slipway. That one's taken with quite an elderly drone.

nortada

Visit site
Can your elderly drone drop hand grenades on bothersome jet skis.
we don’t have any jet skis at Walton bothersome or otherwise but we do have a thriving paddle board and canoe sections and wild swimming (well supported by the club’s excellent changing and shower facilities) for those who feel brave enough.