Dullest place

johnalison

Visit site
A night in Utsk, Poland, alongside some fishing boats is about as dull as we've had but we tend to avoid unpromising stops. There are some pretty boring dormitory marinas in Denmark which do nothing for me though. The dullest town harbour has to be Le Tréport in Normandy, but even there you have their option of a fine walk up the highest cliffs in the region.

James_Calvert

Visit site
Titchmarsh marina mid-August in 1986. At that time there were two basins, and we were obliged to use the one farthest from the "facilities". No-one else on board in that particular mudhole (despite it being the weekend) and a long walk right around the perimeter of the marina to get anywhere. Nowhere to eat or drink on site that I now recall. I think we found a chip shop on the long and lonely road to Frinton, but nothing else was there/open. We thought WWIII had broken out...but I guess all the locals had bunked off to Holland for their hols.

The following night at Stone Pt was nice though.

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
While they may be gritty, at least places like Milford H and Holyhead are towns in their own right. I find the likes of L'Aber Wrac'h most depressing: an artifact where everything is constructed to maximise the flow of money from visitors in a very formulaic way, its only natural asset being remoteness from alternative destinations.

tri39

www.sailblogs.com
I once spent the night in Killini, the Greek mainland port for Zakynthos. Never again. Almost imposs to find an anchor spot out of the way of the ferries and zilch ashore. I think a lot of ferry towns are the same, people rush through, no incentive to provide any attractions.

rosewood

Visit site
Never had a dull night on the boat no matter where I was......

All I had to do was think of the M6... M1...M25...M62 obnoxious sales staff, managers etc etc.

Do I need to remind people why we go boating. ;)

Tom.
youre probably right in all honesty. i find sitting here at my desk looking at the rain the most dullest place on earth

Lakesailor

Visit site
I landed in Cherbourg at 5am, with a departure time for home at 7am. I tried in vain to find another soul to communicate with ashore
Surely not. In France?

french-prostitute.jpg

Hipchick

www.sailblogs.com
I once spent the night in Killini, the Greek mainland port for Zakynthos. Never again. Almost imposs to find an anchor spot out of the way of the ferries and zilch ashore. I think a lot of ferry towns are the same, people rush through, no incentive to provide any attractions.

I know what you mean about Killini but we had a good stay there. I love an ouzo and seek out the places where the old men go. Cheap drinks, the best free nibbles, fresh sardines and olives, and always someone wanting a chat. The scenery was dire though.

Nudge

Visit site
Port Sudan. Probably wouldn't venture there now. As we entered to find the Yacht anchorage two locals were on a pierhead having a dump off the side. Then we made the mistake of going for a walk on the north beach and finding ourselves wandering through the army artillary batteries trying to find our way back. Mombasa - got arrested. The joys of being a delivery skipper!

A lot of the stops mentioned are qualified by the weather - rainy, windy, stormy which can be dismal in the best of ports. Then there are the ones that are down right menacing eg Ardrossan which is like a holding-pen for the Jeremy Kyle show. If there is a break out in the secure hospital for the criminally insane, Police Scotland throw a cordon around the place... "..cos if they get in there, we'll never find them..."

nathanglasgow

Visit site
Port Sudan. Probably wouldn't venture there now. As we entered to find the Yacht anchorage two locals were on a pierhead having a dump off the side. Then we made the mistake of going for a walk on the north beach and finding ourselves wandering through the army artillary batteries trying to find our way back. Mombasa - got arrested. The joys of being a delivery skipper!

A lot of the stops mentioned are qualified by the weather - rainy, windy, stormy which can be dismal in the best of ports. Then there are the ones that are down right menacing eg Ardrossan which is like a holding-pen for the Jeremy Kyle show. If there is a break out in the secure hospital for the criminally insane, Police Scotland throw a cordon around the place... "..cos if they get in there, we'll never find them..."
Cambeltown must be twinned with Ardrossan cause its just the same.

jwilson

Visit site
Briton Ferry on a Sunday night in the 1970s. Mumbles was delightful by comparison, but with an easterly gale was not an attractive proposition.