Dual VAT status?

dunedin

Visit site
As a matter of interest, when was the C1331 introduced for boats leaving the UK? During several years of trips down to France and then leaving for good in 2006, we never filled one in so, no record of who exported the boat from UK.
Don’t know, but certainly well before Brexit. In theory should have been used to/from Channel Islands, and we certainly used to/from Norway (being in Schengen but not in EU) 5 years ago.

dunedin

Visit site
Not me Graham but if someone really wanted to bring a boat back they didn't export , it wouldn't be that hard,
I mean all they had to do is fill an 1331 to say they where sailing away and six month later fill one to say they bring or back.
Oh dear maybe I shouldn't had said that
The problem would be when time come to sell if prove is required where the boat was end 2020
Yes, most tax evasion is pretty easy to do. But in this case would need to explicitly lie on the C1331 form about the VAT aspect which could get serious if ever checked and found out.

Two things tend to discourage tax evasion - honesty, for most of us, and severe penalties for the less honest.
I know a few tax inspectors who have been very busy over the past few years. And whilst they are not involved in this sphere, I would be very surprised if both HMRC and Border Force don‘t keep a quiet eye on forums like these. Most investigations are intelligence triggered.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Yes, most tax evasion is pretty easy to do. But in this case would need to explicitly lie on the C1331 form about the VAT aspect which could get serious if ever checked and found out.

Two things tend to discourage tax evasion - honesty, for most of us, and severe penalties for the less honest.
I know a few tax inspectors who have been very busy over the past few years. And whilst they are not involved in this sphere, I would be very surprised if both HMRC and Border Force don‘t keep a quiet eye on forums like these. Most investigations are intelligence triggered.
It's a good job I'm not planning to bring mine back then ?

Tinto

Visit site
I am currently looking for a replacement for my trusty AWB as it is now sold, and it looks like the UK market is a total non-starter due to the UK leaving the EU customs union. The UK VAT paid boats are 20% overpriced compared to their EU equivalents as that is about what an EU resident would need to pay to move a UK VAT paid boat, bought in the UK, to the EU. Seen lots of really nice looking boats in my search so far and as soon as I notice that the location is the UK (or the US, Caribbean etc.) then I have to discount them - fortunately there are also lots of EU boats to choose from.
this is what I am finding. not many good uk boats about at sensible money. Their prices have gone the way of campervans. Maybe they will settle back once people can fly away for holidays again?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
this is what I am finding. not many good uk boats about at sensible money. Their prices have gone the way of campervans. Maybe they will settle back once people can fly away for holidays again?
I think you will find that the mad rush to buy yachts in the UK and in Europe is to do with people getting desperate to have somewhere to holiday or weekend. Once they find out how much work and costs are involved, I suspect once the pandemic is over and things return to norm, we will find a lot of badly maintained yachts back on the market!

Tranona

Visit site
This is the new "real" on the supply side the UK is now effectively a small closed market cut off from the EU - although in reality in the recent past the flow of secondhand boats was biased towards the EU so depleting the stock in the UK. There are now effectively no domestic suppliers of new boats and the UK is now a low priority market for EU builders who have already reduced capacity. There are essentially no new boats available in the UK market until 2022, and even then almost none in the 30-36' size range. No new boats means no trade ins.

As to demand, the new restrictions on movement around the EU for UK citizens have effectively killed demand for owning and keeping a boat in the EU. Everything you read about the current market is true. My late model boat went on the market a week ago and already one (silly and rejected) offer, one viewing today, another next Wednesday and a third for new year's eve..

The supply and demand conditions added to the uncertainty from Covid will be here for at least the next couple of years, probably longer. On the holiday front, the lack of incoming visitors will free up capacity for staycations. Not convinced that today's buyers will tire of their boats quickly when the alternatives are limited.

Tinto

Visit site
This is the new "real" on the supply side the UK is now effectively a small closed market cut off from the EU - although in reality in the recent past the flow of secondhand boats was biased towards the EU so depleting the stock in the UK. There are now effectively no domestic suppliers of new boats and the UK is now a low priority market for EU builders who have already reduced capacity. There are essentially no new boats available in the UK market until 2022, and even then almost none in the 30-36' size range. No new boats means no trade ins.

As to demand, the new restrictions on movement around the EU for UK citizens have effectively killed demand for owning and keeping a boat in the EU. Everything you read about the current market is true. My late model boat went on the market a week ago and already one (silly and rejected) offer, one viewing today, another next Wednesday and a third for new year's eve..

The supply and demand conditions added to the uncertainty from Covid will be here for at least the next couple of years, probably longer. On the holiday front, the lack of incoming visitors will free up capacity for staycations. Not convinced that today's buyers will tire of their boats quickly when the alternatives are limited.

yes, I think it will be quite some time before people are confident enough to book holidays abroad and decide to sell their boats. they also have to get bored of them, which may not happen.

Hopefully Omicron is the first step towards the virus being less deadly. but while it is still putting pressure on hospitals there is still going to be the need for testing before/after international travel which adds stress and cost. So as you say, it will be a few years until it all settles down.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
The more I look into this the more of a minefield
it looks to be.

Since the earlier postings, the VAT situation has been simplified by the RGR time limit being scrapped, allowing boats to to be returned to UK by (or on behalf of) the person who exported it. The delivery crew could include someone who has agreed to buy the boat once it has returned to the UK.

Last edited:

st599

Visit site
Since the earlier postings, the VAT situation has been simplified by the RGR time limit being scrapped, allowing boats to to be returned to UK by (or on behalf of) the person who exported it. The delivery crew could include someone who has agreed to buy the buy the boat once it has returned to the UK.

But only for boats that have previously been in the UK.

Tinto

Visit site
Since the earlier postings, the VAT situation has been simplified by the RGR time limit being scrapped, allowing boats to to be returned to UK by (or on behalf of) the person who exported it. The delivery crew could include someone who has agreed to buy the buy the boat once it has returned to the UK.

That’s great, thank you very much for the update

Seven Spades

Visit site
If you bring a British registered boat back to the UK it is unlikely to be picked up. If however you bring a foreign flagged vessel to the UK, I think the chances are high that questions qwill be asked when you try to enter it onto the SSR etc.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
So what if purchasing an EU vat paid boat in the EU, register the boat on ssr while still in EU then bring boat to UK as a British citizen ?

Marina receipts or other proof of UK berth may be required plus the C1331 should be on file from when it left. If recent purchase (new SSR) they may want to see, bill of sale, details of previous owner etc. If you're lucky it could work but OTOH if caught maybe seizure of boat or, hefty fine + VAT + UK compliance etc.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Marina receipts or other proof of UK berth may be required plus the C1331 should be on file from when it left. If recent purchase (new SSR) they may want to see, bill of sale, details of previous owner etc. If you're lucky it could work but OTOH if caught maybe seizure of boat or, hefty fine + VAT + UK compliance etc.
EDITED - Read the questions! You have to prove this yacht has been to the UK at some point in its life, but it still remains that if the sale takes place outside the UK you will not have any right to UK VAT.... So If it has been in the UK, and you must remember that one day you will need to sell the boat as Vat paid, you will need to prove that it really is VAT paid. Just to lie on the forms is fraud, in which case those of us who pay our taxes would hope you went to jail and had the yacht impounded!:devilish:

As the sale has taken place outside of the UK, UK VAT status is permanently lost. If the sale has not yet taken place and the yacht has been to the UK, then complete to sale in the UK. The new C1331 has one specific question. Has the vessel ever been to the UK. If the answer is no, then no vat. You will have to pay vat.

The C1331 on now in spreadsheet format in addition to being down loadable pdf form. I suggest you look at it. I don't think it still asks "Were you the exporter" But that is still in the law.

Last edited: